Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I finally opened my manual/cookbook

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
and much to my dismay and found out that the warranty card needs to be submitted within 10 days of purchase. I bought the egg in July and have been too busy cooking with it. Is my warranty not going to be valid? My dealer never mentioned to send it in within 10 days so now I'm worried.

Comments

• JudyFoodie,[p]I sure hope this question gets answered.[p]I'll be following this thread...[p]~ Broc

• JudyFoodie,[p]OMG...I didn't send my in either!
  • JudyFoodie,
    Just send it in now. You'll be fine. BGE takes care of customers.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    JudyFoodie,[p]No need to fear...[p]I submitted mine, then I lost my folder with my manual, invoice, etc. I called Customer Service at BGE (Bobby, the one and only). I had asked him if he could check the database to see if my card had been received. He kinda chuckled and said that it wasn't worth worrying about.[p]Just so long as you have your invoice, that's the really POP (Proof Of Purchase), also showing that you bought it from a dealer and not via the internet.[p]I, being a little OCD, took pictures of the inside of my egg with all the S/N stamps...[p]If in doubt, call Bobby, but I bet he'll just ask to send it in..[p]-Jeeves

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    JudyFoodie,
    No worries. Just send it in and you will be fine. As long as you are the original owner, the lifetime warranty is in place.

• Am I ever glad to see this thread. I too forgot and just sent in my warranty card last week and was hopping everything would be ok as it does say send in within 10 days. [p]Now after seeing this thread I can finally relax. [p]Thanks to all you eggsperts[p]AuntieEgger[p]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Bobby-Q,
    You guys are just so warm and fuzzy! LOL -RP

• Thanks for easing my mind. These days I'm finding that you don't usually have to send in any cards to the manufacturers anymore. Most do it on-line to register or you just have to show proof of purchase with an invoice if you need to make a claim. When I needed servicing for my Kitchenaid refrigerator all I had to do was identify the serial number and the dealer I bought it from. It was all in their database. I guess you can't assume this for every major purchase you make anymore. Thanks for all your responses and I'll be sure to send in my card tomorrow.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    AZRP,
    Bobby speaks truth :>)[p]When I attended our first fest in Atlanta two years ago I picked up a replacement firebox. I purchased that first large in 1997 and never mailed in the warranty card.[p]I did bring it to Atlanta with me though :>)[p]I was prompt in mailing in the card for my small....which reminds me I need to find the card for the second large LOL[p]H

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    JudyFoodie, you need to lock in that name (JudyFoodie) as your handle. That is a great name.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    JudyFoodie,[p]Put simply, my understanding is that Federal regulations do not allow a manufacturer to refuse warranty service based on failure of the purchaser to do something like send in a card. Those regulations were put in place because most manufacturers used the cards just to gather marketing information. The Feds decided that a warranty was either granted or it was not granted as part of the terms of sale and no conditions could be placed on it. In the BGE case, they have issued a limited warranty (limited in the sense that only certain components are covered and it applies only to the original purchaser. They can require that the owner show proof of purchase but not that a card be sent in to them. As an aside, many manufacturers responded to the Federal regs by providing an additional warranty benefit to those who returned the card or otherwise registered - maybe an extension or some other extra element - and that is completely legal since there is a basic warranty for everyone and an extra one in exchange for providing the marketing info.
  • Wise One,
    How do you go about locking in your handle?
    Judy

• Haggis,
    Thanks for the insightful info, you sound like a pro. Does BGE provide any extra element or extension of some kind for sending in the card? If so I guess I wouldn't qualify since it's been past the 10 days. You'd think they could gather all their marketing info simply by looking at this forum and sales reports from their dealers.[p]Judy