Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are new owners and tried our first pizza tonight. It was a disaster - burned on the bottom and raw on top. How is the best way to cook it? At what temperature and on what? We tried one right on the plate setter with the legs down and the other on the grill placed on the plate setter legs up at approximately 600 degrees. Do we need a pizza stone and, if so, how is it to be placed? HOw long? At what temperature? HELP

Comments

• StratoEgg
    Options
    One method is to use the plate setter upside down then placing a stone on top of the place setter. I use the 3 feet that came with the Egg on top of the place setter and then the pizza stone (this leaves a small space between the place setter and the stone. I cook my pizza at 550 degrees. This takes about 8-10 minutes- cook until the crust and cheese start browning. M

I know some Eggers prefer paper and others use corn meal and a paddle. Technique only.

The Naked Whiz at his recipe site has what he calls random bits of information on making pizza in a ceramic charcoal cooker that may help out also.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#pizza

Cheers,

Al
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    farmcook,
    Here's a link to my pizza hints and tips page. Good luck![p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza hints and tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • JC in GA
    Options
    farmcook,
    I cook my pizza with the plate setter legs down. Then I put my three little egg base legs on the Plate setter. The reason I do this is to keep the bottom from burning. Then I put my pizza stone on. I make my pizza in a round pan, 'cause I haven't learned how to toss the dough, yet.
    I use parchment paper on the pizza stone INHO it makes it easier to remove the pizza after it's done. I cook mine at a temp of 500 for about 20 minutes.
    I hope this helps.

• Mike in MN
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Just read your whole pizza explanation.... as my first and only attempt years ago was a failure... Burned on the bottom, cold on top, and too smokey for my wife.[p]I have to say, I got a great laugh out of your final "tip." Keep that peel level ;>[p]Thanks for the effort.[p]Mike in MN

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]How did you change (add the word LINK) the title of farmcook's original post?
  • farmcook,
    The first pizza I tried was awful also, but the second was great. I have started using ready made pizza dough. It usually comes 2 to a pack. (it is easier to get on and off the stone, also there is less mess to clean up in the house) I put the place setter on the grid and the stone on top of that and let them get hot. I put some corn meal on the stone right before I put the pizza on. I cook it at about 450 degrees - usually about 10 - 15 minutes. We will never order from Domino's again.