Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken plate setter repair

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have broken leg on a plate setter. Any thoughts on what is the best glue, epoxy or whatever to make the repair?? Also, where can it be purchased??

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Medforded,[p]JB Weld @ Ace Hardware works real well on plate setter depending where the break is and also on fire boxes/rings.

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Medforded,
    Mine broke after a couple of months and my local dealer replaced it.

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    Medforded, was this a self inflected break, or did it break due to temperature while cooking? J-B Weld came to my mine too, I know they (use too) repair engine blocks with it long-long ago.
    Certainly worth a try.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Medforded,
    One of my plate setters has a 45 degree break. The size of drip pan I use, it doesn't matter as the grate sets on it.
    Another option is to take one of those feet (I don't use them much) and JB Weld aprox. 1/4 inch up on the break.[p]Mike

• tigerpaw
    Options
    Medforded,[p]Rutlands furnace cement works too! The leg on my EL platesetter cracked when I dropped the pizza stone on it. Works great.
  • eggbasket
    Options
    Medforded,
    Someone might know- but make sure the JBWeld doesn't have lead in it. Just a thought. I have seen it used to mend a chiminea but it was not going to be heated with food.[p]Carol (only a tad OCD) ha!

• Medforded,
    Thanks to all those that provided some feedback. This was a self inflicted "wound", so warranty doesn't apply. I will research the JB Weld composition and give it a whirl if safe.
    Thanks again!

• Just Plain Mike
    Options
    Medforded,[p]I wrote JB weld some time ago as I was thinking of using it to repair my old large clay egg. They responded that it is not toxic. It can also withstand temps to 500 degrees according to JB weld.
  • SkyRider
    Options
    Medforded, I repaired mine w/ Furnace Cement...avail @ most Ace Hwd Stores.... Been using for 3+ yrs w/o any problems whatsoever....good luck...

• RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    Just Plain Mike, one of my platesetters is broken into three pieces (self inflicted). I don't use it anymore since I have tjv's adjustable rig using a pizza stone on the spider. But I was thinking of using JB Weld to put it back together in case I need it down the road. Your note about the 500* temp limit has me wondering, what temp does the underside of the platesetter reach during a low and slow? The breaks are in the flat part, not the legs, so I wonder if it will hold up.
  • Just Plain Mike
    Options
    RJH,
    I would bet that it would hold to a higher temp. Check the JB Weld web site. I emailed them and they responded within a day or two. I think the 500 degree "claim" is what they'd be able to stand behind but I bet there's a fudge factor that would allow you to exceed 500 by at least 100 degrees.