Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Matchmaking for Eggs

Options
eggbasket
eggbasket Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Large BGE looking for long term relationship with either a small or medium BGE......I can't decide between the two. Just which one will make my culinary life fulfilled? I am a loved larger BGE just wanting to do some things "on the side". [p]Jokin aside. Anyone have insight to add.....?
Thanking you in advance.
Carol

Comments

• eggbasket
    Options
    Ok...correction...I a large BGE not a "larger" LOL[p]Sometimes me thinks to much:)
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    eggbasket,
    I have the large & small BGE combo. I one day plan on adding a medium... My Dad and Brother have Mediums. I sometimes wish I had added the Medium instead of the small. With that said I cooked a meatloaf on the Small last night and it was wonderful. The Small is a steak searing machine. If you like cooking homemade pizza's the medium would be a better choice to go with the large. Now you have me wanting to get a Medium. LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE NOW LOL! Seriously, every egg I have cooked on so far has the same egg-cellent cooking qualities you would egg-spect :=) Have fun you will probably be crazy like me.
    ~Pharmeggist
    P.S. The small does a wonderful job at baking cakes and bread and home-made brownies too! Just be sure to look at what size pans you have first and make sure the lid will still close. I had to bend the metal handles down on the meatloaf pan to get the dome to close on the egg... Don't worry I got my wifes permission first to bend the handles.

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    eggbasket,[p]I have the Large/Medium combination, and love it. Yesterday was two briskets on the Large and a 10 lb. pork shoulder on the Medium. Shoulder went for 21 hours. I don't have any experience with the Small, but I don't hesitate to do any cook on the Medium. I'm sure you'll be very happy with either combination.[p]Dave

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    eggbasket,
    I got the Small to go with my Large because I wanted to take the Small on trips. Only took it on one trip so far. If I had it to do over I think I would have gone with two Large Eggs. That way my accessories fit and I never have to worry about which one to use.[p]Spring "Looking Back Is Like Looking Forward In Reverse" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    eggbasket,
    the small is a lump miser for smaller cooks, very economical, but i would buy a second large over a med for the reasons spring chicken stated.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fonchik
    Options
    eggbasket,
    I have two BGE and they are both larges. I had planned on getting a small or medium to go with my large but, I got a demo Large instead.
    I do like having two larges because I can interchange setups with the same eggcessories. [p]Linnea

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    eggbasket,[p]After our first one, the next egg we bought was the small. It'll do pretty much anything the large will do, and you can take it camping, or on vacation with you very easily. We now have 2 larges, a medium and a small in our outdoor kitchen. It's great having the option of having multiple ones available for different foods.[p]You're going to love it, whichever one you decide on![p]Have fun,
    Tonia
    :~)

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    eggbasket,[p]I have large and medium because my wife refused to get a small when we were looking for the second. I use the large for bigger cooks, roasting, pizza, ribs, etc., because it holds more lump and has a significantly larger cooking grid and more room to handle a turkey or whatever. I find myself using the medium for 75 percent of my cooks because its, well, smaller. And uses less lump. And I'm only cooking for two of us most of the time. But most of those activities would do fine on a small (see other responses) and ultimately it boils down to the fact that the medium is just a touch faster and cheaper to use than the large but is still bigger than necessary. I'd go with the small if I had the opportunity again.
  • Grasshopper
    Options
    eggbasket,
    We are thinking medium would be best, more options would be available for ya, besides being from Kansas a medium would withstand the tornados better - I've seen the Wizard of Oz you know.
    Grasshopper

• eggbasket
    Options
    Grasshopper,
    Yeah, I have lived here...well I won't say how long...all my life and haven't seen a tornado yet. Knock on wood. I was leaning toward small so that we can take it with us for a cook somewhere and it would be a bit more handy. I thought your ribs that you posted recently looked great and your brisket story was a tear jerker. Have you tried another one? Say hi to Sherye - we are still working on getting to Atlanta in Oct.
    Take care,
    Carol

• eggbasket
    Options
    QBabe,
    Thanks for the post...I had to chuckle because your egg family reminds me of what I used to tell peolpe when asked "how many dogs do you have?" Being childless, I replied as I have heard some parents say..."we meant to have only two but we happily have three" :-)! And so will be, our story of the egg. LOL
    C

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    Options
    eggbasket,[p]I have a large BGE, and a Mini. I use the mini for some on-the-side, placed on ceramic feet, on picnic table.[p]Works great![p]Steve[p]ps. I've tried posting pictures of them, but have not figured this out yet.