Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Everyone Cooking - No Answers

Options
Bob In Texas
Bob In Texas Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every one must be attached to there BGE about now, since there are no answers being given. I am attached to mine except, I have my remote temp. monitor setting here beside me. The alarm wakes me.......

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Bob In Texas,[p]Don't know about everyone, but I just got my temp stable, and am beginning to smell the rib tips starting to cook.[p]You were asking about unusual temperatures between grate and dome. Among things you might check is if the dome thermometer probe is near or directly above a cold meat mass. Also, is the grate probe directly over coals? If "A", then the dome thermometer is being cooled by the meat. If "B", then the grate probe is getting a lot of IR. If both, than you may have to visually check the meat in a few hours. [p]Personally, I'd expect the dome to rise to the usual 15 - 25 degrees hotter than grate.[p]gdenby
  • jwirlwind
    Options
    Bob In Texas,
    Today I am going to do hamburgers. Beef for me, chicken for wife.
    Tomorrow, chicken quarters for the family. [p]MC Jerry

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    gdenby,
    My temps have been stable for the last 3 hrs. Matter of fact, they have been stable all through the cook. The dome and RediChek are within about 5-10° of each other. I surmise that's the way it goes on a very slow cook. I also brought the temps up at a snails pace to begin with. I'm Getting ready soon to lay the ribs flat, out of the rib rack, and kick it up to 250°, I bet the dome temps rise then. I've really been lucky this time keeping the temp. stable.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Bob In Texas,[p]Creeping towards the temp you want, and/or holding the temp where you want it for about 1/2 hour seems to almost guarantee the fire will be steady. It took me awhile to get the hang of it, but most of my long cooks will settle in to about the right temperature, and hold for as long as there are coals.[p]Personally, if I didn't need to hurry (or was drooling from the scent of the ribs) I'd let 'em go at the lower temp until just before the end. Whenever you have a 250 grate temp. the moisture in the meat will be driven off pretty quickly.[p]gdenby