Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked mullet

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
View?u=1317113&a=10430504&p=54846689&Sequence=0&res=high
<p />David Bailey asked me to repost my recipe for smoked mullet that I posted a few weeks ago. I can not find it by searching the forum (?), so here she goes:[p]Get the freshest mullet you can find and have it cleaned and split as in the picture. Leave the scales on the fish.[p]I put a little Wesson oil on the fish with a little rib rub.[p]the fish was cooked over a direct fire. I used a handful of apple chips if I remember correctly (you do not want to oversmoke the fish) and a tiny piece of cherry wood (to make the surface get a little browner?). The fish was put in the Egg at a dome temp of about 160, and I let the temp go to 240-280 for about 2 hoours.[p]I thought the fish came out nicely, and was comparable to what used to be available in several of the "mullet restaurants" in Tampa.[p]Hope this helps, Dave?

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Bobby Cue,[p]Thanks, That looks great. I had a fisherman offer me a mullet but I wasn't sure what to do with it being a yankee and all. Next time I see him I'll accept his offer. [p]How do you determine the doneness? Why leave the scales on?[p]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    drbbq:[p]The scales are left on to retain the oil and keep the fish from drying out.
  • Bobby Que
    Options
    drbbq,[p]I look at the mullet after an hour or so, and when the surface is brown and slightly crispy, and firm but not hard underneath, it is done. A lot of juice will accumulate in the abdominal cavity.[p]The question about scales was answered nicely below.[p]BTW, are you the drbbq who is in Lakeland for the winter?

• Bobby Cue,Thanks alot, that's exactly what I was looking for. I had found the previous post but all I got was the temp settings for the egg. I was needing the prep directions. I live in the Lakeland/Mulberry area and know what you're referring to about not many places serving smoked mullet anymore. My nephew is going to get some mullet and asked if I would smoke them on my egg. I remembered your post and said we would try it.

• Bobby Cue, that is maavaaalass! I can catch fresh mullet with a cast net or a snag hook while standing beside my Egg. I always go out in the morning when they are in thick enough schools and catch a few for breakfast. Mullet are good if very fresh. If you get fresh ones and want to keep them, you must filet them into pure meat with no skin or they will get a strong fish-oily taste. I always filet them out after I knock them in the head to calm them down a little, and have fresh fried mullet and cheese-grits. (that aught to get a North/South discussion going:)[p]But now I will try your idea. It looks and sounds great.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Bobby Que:[p]An interesting source on the subject of "Smoked Seafood Florida Cracker Style" is a pamphlet of the same name. Mr. Ted Dahlem of the St. Pete area wrote it in 1971 and it was published by Great Outdoors Publishing Co. He writes about some interesting technique and even more interesting homemade smoking contraptions. He is 70 if he is still with us and I am certain he would be interested in a tandem ceramic cooker setup.

• Bobby Que
    Options
    K.O.C.,[p]Go for it, KOC.[p]Let me know what you think after your try some mullet smoked.[p]Have you ever cooked the roe from gravid mullet? Fantastic eating experience, either fried or smoked.

• Bobby Que
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]I wonder if the St. Pete gentleman is still available to comment on more "modern" ways to prepare a smoked mullet?[p]There is a lettle meat market here in Tampa that makes a lot of smoked food in offset smokers, and tosses in mullet when available. They don't always look or taste like what I try to get out of the Egg. If you were in the Tampa area in the 70s-80s, do you remember the Mullet Inn on the causeway to Clearwater? I think it eventually turned in to a Mexican place which has gone bye-bye recently.[p]

• drbbq
    Options
    Bobby Que,
    So just feel for doneness. Yes I am in Lakeland for the winter, selling BBQ on North 98. The fisherman I referred to is a customer. I'll let you know when I do it. [p]A girl I just hired was explaining the traditional way to cut them to me and I see that's how yours is done. Any idea why they're cut this way?

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Bobby Que,
    I remember it and ate there often.

• Bobby Que
    Options
    drbbq,[p]I think this gives maximum surface area to fish as it is smoked, and makes it easier to eat when cooked.[p]If you could get a reliable source of fresh mullet (which are fatter and juicier in the winter), and work out a good way to cook them in your rig, you might get a lot of fans in Lakeland. I put a little hot BBq sauce on them when I eat them, although lemon and butter ain't bad on a mullet either.[p]Did I meet you recently on the SmokinOkie's CS forum?[p]

• Bobby Que
    Options
    K.O.C.,[p]You are lucky if you can net them that way. Really fresh smoked mullet should be hard to beat. [p]I never had a chance to eat fried mullet, but understand it is good. [p]Smoke some up- it is really easy and the result is very tasty.
  • drbbq
    Options
    Bobby Que,[p]Yes I have visited the CS forum lately. Nice place. [p]I was talking to that girl today and I sort of answered my own question, why isn't all fish cut that way. It protects the belly area and splits the bony back area.[p]For business I'll stay with pig meat.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • I use Olb Bay Seasoning on the butterflyed mullet and smoked on the Green Egg for four hours at 190 degrees.
    Use left overs for outstanding fish spread.