Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie's Butt and other assorted goodies

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry for the title - couldn't resist. :-)[p]This weekend will be my first experience with the all-famed Boston Butt. This will be my longest cook so far, with 4.5 hour ribs my previous limit. Just getting the hang of this now, folks. What a great product! Anyway, since I will be doing this overnight, I have a few questions, if you may. As always, a great thanks to those on the forum who so diligently put up with the questions you must hear at least once a month - those of us who are new to the sport thank you. On to the questions![p]1. How long do I cook it? The Butts I have seen at my local market are about 6 - 7 pounds. I have heard 3 - 3.5 hours per pound, just want to confirm.[p]2. What temp do I need? I have seen variations from 200 to 250 noted, and this has me a tad concerned. I like to think that after 18-21 hours, the difference between 200 and 250 will be quite noticeable on the meat. Anyone have a favorite, or "recommended" temp/time? Or is whenever it hits 200 degrees internal the key point here? I realize that after awhile everyone gets their own method, but for now I want to make sure I don't end up with shoe leather.[p]3. Got a favorite rub? JJ's work well with this? Tried this rub on ribs before - YUM. [p]4. Is any interaction with the meat required at all during the cook? Spray of apple juice, flip the meat, etc? Or just close the lid and watch the clock?[p]5. How much lump do I need? Will I be able to do the whole cook with one full firebox of lump? Would like to sleep through about 8 hours of this......[p]6. Anything else I may have forgotten/ :-)[p]Thank you all again for your help! Enjoy Eggtoberfest !![p]- Mike[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    1. How long do I cook it?
    A 6-7 pound butt takes approx 12-15 hours at 250. At 200, you are looking at 24 hours.[p]2. What temp do I need? I have found 250 to be perfect. The cooking level temps are usually a bit cooler than that. You will never get too much heat at 250. I use lower temps when I want to stretch a cook out overnight and to dinner the next day. Really have not noticed a major difference in the texture/moisture of the meat between 200 and 250. Even if you cooked the thing at 275 all the way, you would still be in for some righteous pulled pork.[p]3. Got a favorite rub? JJ's work well with this? Tried this rub on ribs before - YUM.
    Yep.[p]4. Is any interaction with the meat required at all during the cook? Spray of apple juice, flip the meat, etc? Or just close the lid and watch the clock? [p]Close the lid and watch the clock! And have a few beers if you will.[p]5. How much lump do I need? Will I be able to do the whole cook with one full firebox of lump? Would like to sleep through about 8 hours of this......[p]Fill to the fire ring (in the large) and it will be good for 20 hours plus. Fill more if you feel the need. Folks have done this to the top of the fire ring. Get some good sleep...but could not hurt to get up at 3 am for a quick check if this is your first overnighter.[p]
    6. Anything else I may have forgotten/ :-)
    Have fun with it! And remember...butts are hard to kill!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Charcoal Mike, NB pretty much nailed it! Do that and you will be enjoying some fine PP.
    Later,
    ChefRD.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    WOW! What a great reply. I couldn't have asked for anything else. You are the man![p]- Mike

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Perfect....Well stated Chris.
    Larry

• Charcoal Mike,
    Thanks guys. Just giving back some of what I have reaped from this great forum!
    NB

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Hate to tamper with great, straight-forward advise like what NB just gave, but I'll throw a few other things your way.
    If you, like a lot of folks, feel that you HAVE to do something more during the cook to feel like you are more of a participant than babysitter, I suggest getting a spray bottle and putting in about 8-10 oz apple juice and 2-3 oz apple cider vinegar. Shake and set beside the Egg. When you get up the 2-3 times during the night to check temp, get reassurance etc, just open lid and do a quick spritz of the surface. Will give butt surface a sheen and carmelize that rub, be it JJ's or otherwise. Trust me; our team just took 1st in butt/shoulder at the last comp of the season here in Canada. Even if it had nothing to do with our success, it will make you feel like you had a hand in that great pulled pork taste and will justify the crappy sleep!!
    May I also suggest serving on a white bun with a good dollop of homemade slaw on top, plus your favourite sauce. Now THAT, is the finest bbq has to offer!
    Qfan

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Sounds like something I need to try! Ya never stop learning.
    Thanks! Have a great time, and good luck at the JD in Tennessee.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • jmadison
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    one newbie to another .... cooked my first butt last week
    1. How long do I cook it? The Butts I have seen at my local market are about 6 - 7 pounds. I have heard 3 - 3.5 hours per pound, just want to confirm.
    mine was 6 lbs (bone in), put it on a 3 in the afternoon .. took it off just after noon the next day .. a perfect 160 degrees inside[p]2. What temp do I need? I have seen variations from 200 to 250 noted, and this has me a tad concerned. I like to think that after 18-21 hours, the difference between 200 and 250 will be quite noticeable on the meat. Anyone have a favorite, or "recommended" temp/time? Or is whenever it hits 200 degrees internal the key point here? I realize that after awhile everyone gets their own method, but for now I want to make sure I don't end up with shoe leather.
    kept mine about 250, made sure it was fat side up..no way it will turn to shoe leather
    3. Got a favorite rub? JJ's work well with this? Tried this rub on ribs before - YUM.
    paprika
    chilli powder
    whole cummin , crushed in the molcajete
    fresh oregano, crushed with sea salt & red pepper
    brown suger
    (did I mention I'm in Texas)[p]4. Is any interaction with the meat required at all during the cook? Spray of apple juice, flip the meat, etc? Or just close the lid and watch the clock?
    drink and sleep[p]5. How much lump do I need? Will I be able to do the whole cook with one full firebox of lump? Would like to sleep through about 8 hours of this......
    made the mistake of not watching mine at start up (before the meat went on) and the temp went up and used up alot of lump..so I refilled it and started regulating it at about 175 (just like I'm been told here) it was still at 250 when I took the meat off[p]6. Anything else I may have forgotten/ :-)
    just a side bar, don't let any of it go to waste ... we had wonderful pulled pork the first night .. all of the trimed off chared fat and the bone went in the black beans for the next day. the leftover was ground up with a little green sauce and went into Saturday's tamales [p]THANKS GUYS for all of your good advice
    j