Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top Sirloin Steaks

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
steaks.jpg
<p />Just a note about steaks. I have been buying the top sirloin steaks at Costco for the past couple of years. They are USDA Choice grade, and about 2.99/lb. They come real fat...damn near 2 inches. It has a little more chew than a tenderloin, porterhouse, or ribeye, but still very tender...especially when sliced cross-grain. It is loaded with beef flavor, and cooks up real nice with a hot sear, and a dwell. Sure, sometimes a good filet mignon is wonderful...but this has more flavor, and is daggon tender too. Not melt in your mouth like a filet..but damn near it if cooked hot and fast. Our twin girls are hooked on it.[p]I have posted this shot before, but these are $2.99/lb. top sirloins. Heeee! Beef be good.[p]Happy and with a full belly
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Nature Boy,[p]IMHO, this is one of the all time great pics of a fabulous Egg steak cook. I've seen this before and am salivating again as usual. This will cause a few sleepless nights but I'll get over it.[p]K~G

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Nature Boy,[p]I still think that picture should be banned from this forum. It makes me too hungry everytime I look at it :-)![p]That does it - I am having steak tonight. I think we have some porterhouse in the freezer.[p]I am going to try using some Lysanders Beef Rub. I love the Pork Rub on chops, hope this is as good on steaks.[p]Beers,
    Jethro

[ul][li]Lysanders[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    KennyG,
    thanks much! The photo has served me well. Will miss you at the fest. Might we expect a phone call to RhumAndJerk's cell phone again??[p]Was at Safeway, and picked up a marked down porterhouse for $3.50...24 ounces. About time to go fire up junior for lunch![p]Cheers to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Jethro,
    I have heard about Lysanders, but have not tried it. Right now I am trying fo figure what I will put on the porterhouse that is goin on for lunch shortly. I am partial to a thick layer of fresh cracked tellicherry pepper, a dusting of kosher salt....but might throw some other goodies in.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Jethro
    Nature Boy,[p]Well now I know what the lunch is I am missing - damn![p]I could put some Lysander's in a zip lock sandwich bag and mail it to you, but with the way things are going now it would probably only create problems.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• Jethro,
    have you chatted with your Lysander supplier lately? How's he doing? Wish that rascal would come back here!

• Nature Boy
    Jethro,
    Sorry you could not make it by for lunch. I only ate half of that monster steak. Made a quick rub with tellicherry and green peppercorns, some corriander seeds, garlic powder and salt. Burp.[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Jethro
    kat,[p]No, I haven't heard from him. I am a hoping he'll get on back over here with his many friends.[p]He's a goodin for sure and has lots of good advice. Got to say before him I couldn't get a chop of the Egg worth a dime. He set me straight on the hot & fast technique and they've been great ever since.[p]Let's hope someday CW will be lookin to talk to some of his buds again.[p]Take Care kat,
    Jethro

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Nature Boy,
    Those truly are lovely pictures! That's about the exact way I like a steak to look; redish-pink top to bottom but not that raw, shiny red. As you know, I don't cook at super turbo-temps but would like this result. Any recommendations for times if doming it at about 550? I did some nice ribeyes for my dad and I the other week and they came out a little rare for both of us; had to return them for a couple minutes, which just interrupts the whole dinner. I don't have an instant-read and the old press-with-the-finger method was just off a bit. Also, for all steak and meat lovers in general (probably everyone here) the relatively new book 'How to Cook Meat' by Chris Schlesinger and John Wiloughby is indispensible. Good read on how to select meat, what to ask for specifically from your meat cutter, the science behind marbling, searing and bone-in vrs bone-out; just an excellent reference book all the way around. I got it at the library and unfortunately have to have it back tomorrow. Purchase price is a little hefty at 35US/52CDN, but certainly worth borrowing from the local library if they have it...
    Qfan

• Nature Boy
    BBQfan1,
    I have been cooking them at about 550 on junior. Really though, dome temps are practically worthless for determining steak times. At least I have not found a pattern. [p]For 1.5 inchers, I usually go about 4 minutes on the side one sear. After 2 minutes, when I rotate the meat 90 degrees for grill marks, I look at the degree of the sear. If it is a good dark sear, I will rotate and go another minute. If it is not seared as darkly as I look for, then I will go 2-3 more minutes before flipping. On side two, I usually go about 2 minutes, then close bottom vent and wait a couple more minutes. Then I move the steak over to the side (not over the hottest coals), and dwell with bottom closed/top off for 5-10 more minutes. If the sear was a healthy dark one, the dwell is shorter. But if the sear is on the lighter side, I usually need at least 10 minutes. I have done quite a few of the..."oops...back on the grill". In which case you sit at the table with a plateful of juice while your sides get cold. I have been going with longer dwells, and have not overcooked anything yet. Still trying to get the nack of cooking by looks and feel....seems like the only way to get a good steak.[p]The one inchers are a different story. They go real quick.
    I'll keep an eye out for that book.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Kevin D
    Kevin D Posts: 60
    BBQfan1,[p]The book can be had for $24.50 at Amazon.com, and under $20 at other sites. Probably a good investment.
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Yo NB,
    Now I was OK until the Porterhouse at Safeway post. Living so far in the mountains that the trappers never found the place we are quality meat challenged. The local mercantile has a monopoly and when they run sirloins on special I'm convinced it's utility or cutter grade. Even an on special rib eye could be used as a hockey puck without cooking.
    BUTT there is a Costco in Missoula 100 miles away and even a Super Sam's w/ $.99 cent briskets and butts recently opened. So as an end to rambling I'm going through there this weekend and I'll grab some of thos Costco sirloins.
    Regards
    DTM

• Nature Boy,[p]Those are some fine looking steaks! I'm glad I ate lunch before seeing the picture.[p]I buy my beef at the local farmer's market from a man who raises purebred Angus not too far from Santa Fe. Having raised some of my own beef in the past, I think that the method of raising and finishing them is more important than the individual cut. This is especially true with the BGE, which could make a tire edible.[p]Beef cattle raised by careful farmers that is hung for 8-10 days is the best there is. It is FAR better than cattle raised for market, where weight at the store is of paramount importance. Try to find a source that raises for flavor and pay the price. It's worth it, regardless of the cut.[p]Also, if you're inclined, go hunting for the freshest, most flavorful meat possible. I'm having elk this weekend![p]Jim