Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Question?

NCMike
NCMike Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a 12 pound turkey that I want to cook to day on my egg. Any favorite methods? I'm thinking about using my turkey sitter. Any turkey experts have any advice? Thanks a lot as always to the experts on this forum![p]Mike

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    NCMike,[p]I've never done a whole Turkey. I have done a few breasts though, and I have to say they are wonderful. They really don't get talked about enough here on the forum IMO.[p]TimM's site - http://www.tm52.com/bge/ - has some info on turkey breasts which is a good place to start. I also recall a lot of compliments on the recipe below.[p]Good Luck,
    Jethro

[ul][li]Super Buzzard[/ul]
  • NCMike
    Jethro, thanks for the reply. Turkey breast was the first thing I did when I bought my egg 3 years ago. I've done a whole one one time. The rest of the time I devote to butts/ribs and the occasional brisket. Thanks again![p]Mike
  • NCMike, brine your bird for 24 hour for best results. If you don't have a container large enough, let alone refrig space large enough to hold that container you can safely get by using an ice chest (cooler). Use a large plastic bag holding the bird and brine and then ice the thing inside the cooler. The largest I've done this to has been a 22# bird and it was too tall for a sitter inside my large egg, so I did the usual on the back position. Just make sure your dome thermometer doesn't poke the bird. You'll fine this to be a turkey you and your family will rave about! Good luck. ^oo^~

• NCMike
    one feral kat, thanks! I'm going to go the beer butt route and see how that works out. Chicken always turns out excellent. Thanks for the info, I will try that, in fact I have brined a turkey before with excellent results. The below recipe is quite excellent, I would recommend it highly. Mike[p] Orange-Marinated Brined Smoked Turkey
    Makes 12 to 15 servings
    roasted turkey is simple -- follow the instructions on the label. But a smoked turkey is something special. Brining, though it seems like a lot of work, produces a moist, tender bird, but read the recipe thoroughly and make sure you leave enough time. This recipe comes from Jeff Starr, chef at Stags' Leap Winery in California.[p]1 gallon orange juice[p]2 cups rice wine vinegar[p]2 cups apple cider vinegar[p]2 cups dark brown sugar[p]6 cloves garlic, crushed[p]1/4 cup sliced fresh ginger[p]1 bunch green onions, sliced[p]2 bunches cilantro, chopped[p]12 whole star anise (available at Asian markets)[p]2 cinnamon sticks, crushed[p]2 tablespoons red pepper flakes[p]1 tablespoon whole cloves[p]2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns[p]1 cup kosher salt[p]1 (12- to 15-pound) turkey, giblets removed[p]Hickory wood chips[p]Olive oil, as needed[p]Salt and pepper to taste[p]Combine orange juice, rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, green onions, cilantro, star anise, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, cloves, peppercorns and kosher salt in stockpot or large saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 45 minutes. Let cool. (May be prepared 1 day ahead; refrigerate in nonmetal container.)[p]Thoroughly rinse and dry turkey inside and out. You'll need a large plastic, glass or earthenware container that is not much wider than the turkey and deep enough so that the brine mixture covers the turkey. Pour in brine; make sure it covers the turkey. Cover and refrigerate for 3 days. If brine doesn't completely cover bird, turn bird every 12 hours.[p]About 4 hours before serving, soak wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes. Remove turkey from brine and pat dry. Truss and place on roasting rack. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.[p]Place drip pan on fire grate of kettle-style grill and add about 1 inch of water. Place 20 or 30 briquettes on either side of drip pan. Light and let burn until coated with white ash, about 30 minutes.[p]Place turkey in center of grill over drip pan. Place small handfuls of wet wood chips on briquettes. Cover kettle with lid. Partially open lid and kettle vents. Try not to remove lid too often, which will lower the temperature, but check about every 45 minutes and replenish briquettes as needed, adding about 10 each time, and add wood chips as well. Maintain about an inch of water in drip pan, adding more if drippings appear to be boiling away.[p]Smoke turkey 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast (not touching bone) reaches 165 to 170 degrees. Carefully transfer turkey to platter and let rest about 15 minutes before carving. [p]

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    NCMike,
    We've done several 18 - 20 turkeys over the past two years. We have never used a brine. The birds come out as moist as any bird any of have ever had. We also make it easy and do things simple.
    Prep the bird as you always would. Salt and pepper the inside. then all we do to Mr. Bird is slather the outside with butter and a little paparika. Put him on the verticle roaster and in/over a drip pan. 375º till he's done 20 minutes a pound (never paid attention to the times I just do what I'm told and it all comes out) The biggest thing you need to watch is when you go to carve MR. Bird is make sure you have him in a deep pan or dish because the juice will amaze you, best darn gravy you ever tasted if you save it with the drippings from the drip pan. We use breast temp of 175º and leg temp of 180º. If you keep it simple the first time out of the box you'll be amazed. One of these days I'll try brining one but for the moment Mr. Egg delivers the best darn turkey so I'm not going to mess with it.
    Good luck and don't worry.[p]Carey

• BillB
    BillB Posts: 26
    NCMike, I agree with Sundown, especially if you haven't done a whole turkey before. I do them at 350 dome temp. breast down for the first half the time, then the rest breast up. It takes pretty close to the time suggested on the turkey package, and it is unbelievably juicy. After a couple this way. then try brining. You will be happy either way, and for novices like us simple is great.
    Use a drip pan with just a little water, and the drippings will make outstanding gravy. Use a little of whatever wood you prefer.

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    NCMike,
    I've done dozens this way now. I brine mine. I pack it with chopped apples or pears. Use what you want in there, the meat is the important part. Here's where I differ with almost everyone: I do my birds at 250 degrees breast down over a drip pan lightly tented with a big piece of foil. I don't eat the skin anyway. It takes about six hours. I pull them at 160 degree breast temp which is totally safe because at 250 degree dome temp, you're whole bird will be 160 or more when the breast gets there. My father in law is a nut for the legs. To make them particularly sloppy moist, after about two hours, I wrap just the legs in foil. They're a delicacy! By the way, we've NEVER had the scoots due to the lower temp.

• NCMike,[p]Where do you get non-frozen turkeys, the grocery stores don't seem to carry them. Maybe they will closer to thanksgiving, but I want to do a test one before the big eat-feast.[p]If not, how long to thaw one of the 12-15 pounders.[p]Kurt
  • Huck
    Kurt,
    about a day in a cooler submerged in brine solution. Check it frequently. When it gets over 40 degrees, it's time to cook. I've even put a few in at dome temp of 250 degrees and with it slightly icy (not rock hard) and they come out fine.

• NCMike
    Thanks for the replies guys! I can always count on good advice from this forum. I did it in my Willie's Turkey Sitter(I've got them for chicken/cornish hens-havent used them yet/ and of course turkey). I did it for 4 hours in the 325* range with a couple of sticks of apple wood and it turned out perfectly. I usually only like turkey a couple of times a year, but this was/is(leftovers) very tasty. Tasted more like a big chicken. I'll do it more often. Also, this one was a frozen bird that I thawed out in the sink for 4 hours or so and then in the fridge overnight.

• Huck,[p]Preciate it. It will be my first smoked turkey. I cannot wait![p]Kurt

• Huck
    Kurt,
    hey, let me know how it turns out.