Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st pork butt begins

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
dsc00317.jpg
<p />not too much to report tonight, just rubbed and wrapped 3 5 lb butts.[p]Putting on tomorrow at noon to come off the bge at 7:00 am. [p]attached is a photo of the three little pigs.[p]updates to follow.[p]wish me luck

Comments

• lsu egger,[p]Not trying to get in yo' bizness, but is 19 hours too long on those butts? I thought it was two hours per pound between 225-250*.
  • bge cookbook calls for 200 and 18 hrs. Is this wrong. My math says 10 hours but lots of other folks (including the elder reciepe I'm following) says go long.

• lsu egger,[p]IMHO, and I have been doing butts all of three months (but they have all turned out great) You need 225-250* for ten hours and at the most 12-13 hours. Ask The Naked Whiz, Car Wash Mike, or Stike.
  • lsu egger,[p]I think what you need is to rely on a good thermometer to get internal temp to 200, give or take, however long that takes. I've found that timetables, with no temp-taking, are unreliable in the extreme.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Eggmeister,[p]You need to hold a 250 dome temp if cooking indirect until the internal temp of all your butts read at least 195 degrees, and no more than 205. I prefer mine at the lower end of that range, some people like it higher. [p]With butts, when they are done, they're done. There is no magic time table to follow, 2 hours per lb is just a general guideline. I have had some go much faster and some much slower than that. Usually the smaller butts take more than 2 hours per lb.[p]I do agree that 18 hours is probably too long to plan on those butts, and if you go to 205 or more internal you risk either mushy or dry meat.[p]Good luck, post any questions here and many of the pork masters will quickly reply to help you.
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Eggmeister,[p]The thing to remember is that if you space the 3 butts with room for air flow between them, they will each cook independently. If you have to wedge them together then they'll cook as one large piece of meat. So depending on how you place them in the egg, could be 10 hours or it could be quite a bit more.[p]Either way, the time is only a guideline. Make sure you cook each butt to the proper internal temp. Many opinions on that, but most everyone agrees that they're done between 190-200. I shoot for 195.[p]Good luck and let us know how they turn out![p]Braddog[p]
  • lsu egger,
    The first small butt I made went to 200¼ and it was too dry. After that I took them off at 190¼, and they have been moist and perfect every time. Remember, it will continue to cook after you wrap in foil and towels and let it steam in the cooler. If you feel it isn't cooked quite enough when you pull it, you can always fry the shreds in a skillet for crisp carnitas!

Judy in San Diego
  • Eggmeister,
    I slow cook at 240 and start checking the temp of the meat at 8 hours....

• Judy Mayberry,[p]fried pork shreds.....you had me at hello

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    lsu egger,[p]Even though I still think of myself as a newbie, I've done about 5 butts, all turned out great. Depending on the temp (225°-250°), 5 lb butts would be about 10 hours, plus you need to set some time for letting it sit in foil+cooler, which can vary as long as 4 hours if you wish for presentation purposes.[p]-Jeeve
  • lsu egger,
    Do you have carnitas in Louisiana? Mexican food is indigenous here near the border, and nothing beats pork carnitas with all the fixins!

Judy in San Diego
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Fidel,
    Size of the butt will make the difference. I have done 9 pounders that took about 22 hours. It came out great. Each butt is different, just like a good woman.[p]Regards,
    Bordello

• lsu egger,[p]Good luck to you on your butts! Would they be for some tail-gating before the LSU vs. Va Tech game Sat. Night in Baton Rouge? Geaux Tigers!!![p]I live in the Fort Worth, TX, area so I get to only 1 or 2 games a season at Tiger Stadium. I do have my tix to see the LSU vs. Florida game on October 6th. Can't Wait![p]The butts are easy to cook. All you have to do is control the fire temp and have plenty of time to cook them. It could take up to 24 hours FYI.[p]Mike