Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

possible new convert with questions

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just about decided I want an egg. How many people will the large cook for on average. What would be a good price for the large including the nest and side shelves(new from a dealer)

Comments

• Steve M Horton,[p]I have a medium [and a small]. I have cooked meat for 30, with plenty left over.[p]If you can afford it -- get a large. Gives you more flexibility to prepare meats/veggies simultaneously...[p]If you can afford it "even more," get a large and a small.[p]If there's an Eggfest you can get to, you might expect to pay about $650 for what you describe. Be sure to get a plate setter... and I use the cast iron grid all the time.[p]You MAY be able to save a little money by shopping on line... but be careful... If your Egg doesn't come from an official Egg dealer, you won't have a lifetime warranty...[p]And ultimately you will want the warranty.[p]Good luck --[p]Some dealers will probably answer you... maybe via email.[p]~ Broc[p]
  • Steve M Horton,[p]Bought my large in 2001. Scrapped my Weber 3 days later and have never looked back.[p]Buy it at your local dealer and be protected in the future. Just figure any extra you pay is like buying an insurance policy.[p]Best of luck,
    Rich[p]PS I've bought a 2 larges and a small at Eggfests in addition to my initial large which I bought at BGE in Atlanta. My son-in-laws have enjoyed their gifts.

• Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,[p]I got my large this summer for $684.00. That includes the nest but not the side panels. I cook on it every weekend. We had ribs tonight and ABT's. I have another slab on now that will come off at 10pm.

• Steve M Horton, I paid a premium for mine (I thought), but it seemed to be the going rate in my area, $697, including setup and delivery. They also took my old Ducane with them. I had to buy the nest, and side tables as an extra items. Another well know dealer in the area is asking $719. But, I got it at my local dealer for the insurance purposes. After cooking on it I have no regrets. It puts out fine food.

• A local dealer is quoting $750.00 which includes the nest and the side folding shelves
  • Steve M Horton,
    Whatever you have to pay, it is worth it. Us eggers are part of the upper crust of the BBQ world!

• BraddogBraddog Posts: 212
    Steve M Horton,[p]I'm in St. Louis and that's the best price I found here. Most were higher with nest & shelves.[p]As far as how many you can cook for, I've cooked pulled pork for 25-30 people, ribs for a dozen and lots of stuff for just my family of four. I Don't regret not going bigger or smaller. The large is perfect for us.[p]Braddog
  • Steve M Horton,
    You want the large dude.
    I have all of the sizes in stock if you are ANYWHERE Near Eastern Pennsylvania check the web site and/or email off list to me. Fellow egghead with great support during and after the sale IMHO ...

[ul][li]SmokinGuitarPlayers BGE Store[/ul]
  • Steve,[p]If you are in the Atlanta area, you can get the rig you described for $599. Let me know if you'd like the details.
  • Steve M Horton,[p]Hello Steve,[p]If there is an Eggfest near you you can pick up a large BGE (demo) with several accessories for around 650.00 I recently purchased one to pick up in a few daysc at The Pacific Northwest Eggfest.[p]Good Luck![p]JD
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team
    Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year"
    www.winecountryq.com
  • BuzzBuzz Posts: 62
    It all depends on what you are cooking. [p]I have a Large BGE and a family of 5. Just off the top of my head, I'd say:[p]You can make enough pulled pork on a Large to feed a big crowd all in once. 20-30 people is not a problem at all and you can go bigger if needed. Other recipes for big meals - brisket, pot of stew, roast, turkey, etc. All would be good choices for big family gatherings.[p]On the other hand, pizzas cook one at a time and take 10-15 minutes each. You can't have several ready at once all hot off the grill. Not a good choice if you're trying to feed a pack of hungry kids.[p]A large will easily cook enough burgers, reasonable sized steaks, or chicken breasts for 8-10 people. [p]Ribs take up a lot of room. Tough to cook those for a crowd. My experience is that feeding 4-6 adults is about the limit for cooking on a single level with the rib rack I'm using. If you need more than that, you will have to get creative with grid extenders, etc.[p]Hope that helps.