Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

possible new convert with questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just about decided I want an egg. How many people will the large cook for on average. What would be a good price for the large including the nest and side shelves(new from a dealer)

Comments

• Steve M Horton,[p]I have a medium [and a small]. I have cooked meat for 30, with plenty left over.[p]If you can afford it -- get a large. Gives you more flexibility to prepare meats/veggies simultaneously...[p]If you can afford it "even more," get a large and a small.[p]If there's an Eggfest you can get to, you might expect to pay about $650 for what you describe. Be sure to get a plate setter... and I use the cast iron grid all the time.[p]You MAY be able to save a little money by shopping on line... but be careful... If your Egg doesn't come from an official Egg dealer, you won't have a lifetime warranty...[p]And ultimately you will want the warranty.[p]Good luck --[p]Some dealers will probably answer you... maybe via email.[p]~ Broc[p]
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Steve M Horton,[p]Bought my large in 2001. Scrapped my Weber 3 days later and have never looked back.[p]Buy it at your local dealer and be protected in the future. Just figure any extra you pay is like buying an insurance policy.[p]Best of luck,
    Rich[p]PS I've bought a 2 larges and a small at Eggfests in addition to my initial large which I bought at BGE in Atlanta. My son-in-laws have enjoyed their gifts.

• Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,[p]I got my large this summer for $684.00. That includes the nest but not the side panels. I cook on it every weekend. We had ribs tonight and ABT's. I have another slab on now that will come off at 10pm.

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    Steve M Horton, I paid a premium for mine (I thought), but it seemed to be the going rate in my area, $697, including setup and delivery. They also took my old Ducane with them. I had to buy the nest, and side tables as an extra items. Another well know dealer in the area is asking $719. But, I got it at my local dealer for the insurance purposes. After cooking on it I have no regrets. It puts out fine food.

• A local dealer is quoting $750.00 which includes the nest and the side folding shelves
  • Steve M Horton,
    Whatever you have to pay, it is worth it. Us eggers are part of the upper crust of the BBQ world!

• Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Steve M Horton,[p]I'm in St. Louis and that's the best price I found here. Most were higher with nest & shelves.[p]As far as how many you can cook for, I've cooked pulled pork for 25-30 people, ribs for a dozen and lots of stuff for just my family of four. I Don't regret not going bigger or smaller. The large is perfect for us.[p]Braddog
  • Eggmeister,
    We ARE the upper crust...

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Steve M Horton,
    You want the large dude.
    I have all of the sizes in stock if you are ANYWHERE Near Eastern Pennsylvania check the web site and/or email off list to me. Fellow egghead with great support during and after the sale IMHO ...

[ul][li]SmokinGuitarPlayers BGE Store[/ul]
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Just Plain Mike
    Options
    Steve,[p]If you are in the Atlanta area, you can get the rig you described for $599. Let me know if you'd like the details.
  • JD McGee
    Options
    Steve M Horton,[p]Hello Steve,[p]If there is an Eggfest near you you can pick up a large BGE (demo) with several accessories for around 650.00 I recently purchased one to pick up in a few daysc at The Pacific Northwest Eggfest.[p]Good Luck![p]JD
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    It all depends on what you are cooking. [p]I have a Large BGE and a family of 5. Just off the top of my head, I'd say:[p]You can make enough pulled pork on a Large to feed a big crowd all in once. 20-30 people is not a problem at all and you can go bigger if needed. Other recipes for big meals - brisket, pot of stew, roast, turkey, etc. All would be good choices for big family gatherings.[p]On the other hand, pizzas cook one at a time and take 10-15 minutes each. You can't have several ready at once all hot off the grill. Not a good choice if you're trying to feed a pack of hungry kids.[p]A large will easily cook enough burgers, reasonable sized steaks, or chicken breasts for 8-10 people. [p]Ribs take up a lot of room. Tough to cook those for a crowd. My experience is that feeding 4-6 adults is about the limit for cooking on a single level with the rib rack I'm using. If you need more than that, you will have to get creative with grid extenders, etc.[p]Hope that helps.