Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

i wanna cold smoke

eddy-turn
eddy-turn Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
can we do it on a BGE?[p]what do i need to know?[p]what advice?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    eddy-turn,
    use the BGE to generate the smoke at as low a temp as you can. ..then draft that smoke thru a metal dryer vent hose from the top opening, off into a cardboard box home made rig.[p]the longer the dryer hose, the lower the BGE dome temp, the better. you should be able to cold smoke that way. especially in winter, when the smoke will cool quite a bit.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    eddy-turn,
    ive done jerkey cooks as low as 140 without doing much except using small pieces of spent lump and just a small amount. any lower and you need a second box connected to the top vent with a dryer vent hose, or a second egg for the fire with its exhaust hooked to the lower vent of the other egg, or a big pan of ice under the food which ive seen done for smoking cheese. someone here probably has the pics of those here

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eddy-turn, If you connect the Large BGE into a Smaller BGE, with the metal dryer vent hose, you may want to notify your neighbors what's going on. They may report you to law enforcement as having a new kind of still perking. :-)
  • eddy-turn, get er dun
    Have fun, Scott

[ul][li]cold smoking tutorial[/ul]
  • Bob In Texas,[p]great - i have two eggs, both large, so with a little creativity and your suggestion should be able to make it work.[p]thanks,[p]eddy-turn
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    eddy-turn,
    Here's a picture of how I do it.[p]IMG_2920-1.jpg[p]I put ice in a pan under what is being smoked.[p]IMG_2921-1.jpg[p]Bob

• eddy-turn, Please, save yourself the trouble and total inefficiency of this method and try my method. I wrote this up because I tried the other stuff and this really works. It gives you awesome control and results. No offense Bob in Texas--just trying to help![p]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    eddy-turn,
    if you're not talking about a lot of smoking you can skip the tubes and slaved units by making a small smoke generator like this:
    IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

Then you can get some lump burning - or actually even use 4 briquettes. Once going place the can down inside your BGE that doesn't have lump in it place wood chips in the can. That will generate a low heat and lots of smoke for at least 30 minutes which is more than enough to smoke cheeses for instance. In order to keep it a cool environment you can also place a pan of ice cubes on your grate and then an auxiliary grate on it with the cheese.[p]After your first use your shiny can will look like this.
    IMG_1689.jpg

BTW credit for these ideas go to Old Dave and Spring Chicken though I take license to the can design LOL!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    RRP,
    just going from memory, but old dave justs slides a couple lit brickets and chips thru the lower vent? and adds chips and or another lit bricket when needed and puts ice in a pan under food to be cold smoked

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    fishlessman,
    he's posted that too, but I'm sure the idea of a can came from him as well at a later time. If nothing else I like to make things! LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Scotty's Inferno, I have used this contraption many times in the past. works fine. I may try your way when my hose bites the dust. Yours is definetly cheaper.