Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone and Setter Learnings

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ever notice that the the most obvious things become evident later... :> I used the place setter and pizza stone...let the BGE get to 400...for about 5-6 minutes ...put the pizza on and waited and waited and waited...what a mess getting it off. I hadn't let the stone and setter get to 400 before I put it on...so I scraped off the stone with a spatula and since it should be at temp now ,I did another and the crust was unbelievably good. Oh well live and learn.
I have one question though, after prep of the pizza in the kitchen, what do you fix it on that allows for an easy transfer to the stone. Both that I made, stuck to the nonstick cookie sheet. Thanks for the help and the ear.[p]Dr. H.

Comments

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    Dr. H,[p]I had the same issue. I just acquired a 14" pizza peal at my local restaurant supply store. It's a big wooden spatula with a very long handle that's designed to use your forearm for leverage.[p]CC

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Dr. H
    Sprinkle the peel with corn meal and build the pizza right on it. However, I suggest not making the pizza until ready to transfer it to the egg. The longer it is on the peel the more tendency it has to stick.
    B D

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Dr. H,
    Just like Big Daddy said, corn meal will make thing go real smooth when it comes to removing your pizza. Just don't use to much or you will have a gritty coating on the bottom of the pizza.[p]Earl

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    pizza1.jpg
    <p />Dr. H,[p]I use two peels - one has the next pie on it. The picture shows my home made peel but www.katom.com has them for under $10. There are many more pics on my website -- under PIZZA.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim M's[/ul]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Dr. H,
    Since I don't have a peel, I simply use a round metal 14" pizza pan like you see at some of the pizza shops. This isn't the deep dish kind, rather a slightly raised and rounded edge. The crust comes out beautifully and is on and off the Egg very easily.
    JimW

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Dr. H,[p]A pizza pan (screened bottom pan) works well. A pizza peel is authentic for making hearth baked pies. I roll the dough out on a wooden cutting board, forming the pie, and then fold in half to transfer to the lightly dusted peel (cornmeal or rice flour) to build the pizza. You could even build the pie on the cutting board and scoop it up with the peel for a quick trip to your Egg.[p]Congratulations![p]Spin