Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Salmon - Awesome!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new egg owner - did my third cook tonight. The first cook was baby back ribs - they were terrible (my mistake, oversmoked them and had to feed them to my dog) second cook was burgers - nothing great but not bad either.[p]But tonight I finally got it right - it's all about practice right? I grilled Salmon and followed Dizzy Pig's recipe to the letter. The end result was the absolute best tasting salmon I have ever had in my life! It was better than even the best restaurant version! This has renewed my desire to experiment and get to know my egg. For anyone who has not tried the Dizzy recipe for salmon, I highly recommend it! Even the wife and kids loved it!

Comments

• Hub,
    Way to go on the Salmon. It sounds great. Wish you had pictures.[p]

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Hub,
    Since you have a computer, as evidenced by this posting, start an Excel sheet and keep track of EVERY cook with comments as to what you liked, didn't like and how you would change things next time.[p]I have done this since I got my Egg in 2001 and it is invaluable, to say the least.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Hub,
    I agree with the Dizzy Pig/Salmon/Egg combo. I never liked salmon until I happened to receive some direct from Alaska. I did mine on a cedar plank with some DP Shakin' The Tree on it. Better than a high-dollar steak.[p]MelissasSalmonCookedForMadMax.jpg[p]I've also done it with a honey/bourbon glaze and that was delicious.[p]If you are going to be at the Eggtoberfest be sure to check out the Alaska Tent. There will be some fresh salmon there. Fresh is different than what we usually get.[p]Spring "Salmon Lover" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Rich, would you mind emailing me the template for that. Sounds interesting. I'm hopeless at setting up spreadsheets tho. I can only fill them in after the fact.[p]Gwen
  • Morro Bay Rich,
    I'd like to know what kind of info you track and how you set up the spread sheet. If you don't mind helping out a new guy.
    Thanks
    Al

• Shishkaknob
    Options
    Hub,
    We love that recipe here too. I've tried the same with various types of fish and it works equally well. Catfish, tilapia, snapper, sea bass...all turned out great. I've also done the maple syrup/butter glaze on pork chops and with chicken. It is a winner. Raging River is, hands down, my favourite DP rub. Love that stuff!
    My ribs were excellent on my first attempt and I've had several delicious versions since that first cook but I did have one batch of ribs that were awful and it was well after I'd been "egging" for a while so don't get discouraged. Sometimes things just don't work out as planned. As for burgers, there are several different methods of cooking them. I've tried high heat direct. High Heat, raised grid direct. Indirect over a drip pan. Thick burgers. Thin burgers. Thin burgers on a hot hot cast iron pan. I liked them all but my favourite method is moderately high heat...500ish...with a burger that isn't too thick. Maybe 1/2 inch thick. Doesn't take long to cook em. I find that if I make them too thick, they take too long to cook through and the fat from the burgers dripping on the hot coals taste of that acrid, greasy smoke that I don't care for. [p]Keep practising. If you have some bad meals, the dog will love you even more.[p]Cheers,[p]John[p]Cheers,[p]John

• eddy-turn
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]do you have the recipe? [p]thanks,[p]eddy-turn
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    eddy-turn,
    I had a wee bit 'a rum while cook'n them so I didn't think to write it down. But it's easy. Just soak your cedar plank for about four hours (I did mine one hour). Skin side down on the cedar. A little olive oil will make it clean up better. I rubbed in a light coat of olive oil on top too but I think butter would be better. Sprinkled on a good helping of Dizzy Pig Shakin' The Tree (Just about any DP product or your own concoction would probably do). I cooked mine direct @ about 300° to an internal temperature of 135° to 140° if memory serves me. It doesn't take long.[p]I suppose you could add some alder smoking wood if you like but surprisingly, the cedar flavor is subtle and adds a nice touch.[p]I added the lemon rings but they didn't do anything flavor wise.[p]MelissasSalmonCookingontheEgg.jpg[p]The fresher and thicker the salmon the better in my opinion.[p]Mad Max seemed to have liked it and he's an excellent cook.[p]Good luck.[p]Spring "Taking A Much Needed Break" Chicken