Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CLAMS on BGE

Options
bw
bw Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever done up some clams on the BGE? If so, how do you them, what temp, indirect/direct ect...[p]Thanks
bw

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cherrystones.jpg
    <p />bw,
    had these labor day as an appetizer.[p]i did them at 500 til they open. you might want to move them around a bit as they sit there (rotate some from inside to the rim, and vice versa), as the ones on the outside tend to open first. ideally, you want them all to open around the same time. took maybe 20 minutes. i added grape vine to the fire just after opening, to hit them with a little smoke.[p]steamer i would steam. these cherrystones were perfect though. i've also done them with mussels and mahogany clams, as part of a paella.[p]nice alternative to burgers and steaks all the time.[p]rawseafood.jpg[p]cooked.jpg[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bw
    Options
    stike,[p]Those look yummy! It looks like your doing them indirect is that correct? Pretty new to clams. What exactly are cherrystones and whats the difference, are the carried pretty much at any seafood retailer? I think I might give them a try this week! Thanks for your help.[p]bw
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    100_1340.jpg
    <p />stuffed clams done direct[p]100_1134.jpg[p]mussels in a cataplana[p]100_1125.jpg[p]bacon wrapped clam and lobster cakes[p]100_1119.jpg[p]fishlessmans stew
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bw
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]All the dishes look delicious!![p]Are those scallops in the top piture? Scallops wrapped with something? I'd be interested on how you made those if your willing to give your secret....[p]Thanks
    bw

• stike, Oh yea man! And is that a blue fish filet nestled in there with the clams & calamari? How New England (or East Coast)![p]Rascal

• stike
    Options
    bw,
    the ones in the top pic are called 'cherrystones', and are common and pretty cheap around here (new england).[p]they are a hard shell clam.steamers are soft shelled, and longer/thinner. cherrystones are stout little dudes.
    they are a mid-sized clam. clams get bigger as they get older, and the name cherrystone denotes a size. quahogs are the biggest. when we make sandcastles, we sometimes find these suckers 6 or 8 inches across.[p]if you can't find them, you'll for sure find mussels just about anywhere. they are good too, but i can only stand 8 or 10. i could eat clams literally all day.[p]and yes, these were done indirect

[ul][li]all about cherrystones (etc.)[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    Options
    100_1337.jpg
    <p />bw,
    you need thin bacon and you need to partially cook it before wrapping the scallop, then into a pan over med/high heat until the scallpo looks done, no need for seasonings if the scallops are fresh, and dont over cook, they are actually alot better under cooked than over cooked
    the hot dog was for the dog, and those stuffed clams came from a local lobster pound

fukahwee maine

• bw
    Options
    stike,[p]Thank you for all your good info. I might try and find some tonight my mouth is watering now. We're down in Jensen Bch Florida, hope I can find some.[p]Thanks again
    bw

• stike
    Options
    Rascal,
    actually, that was red snapper

• fishlessman, Woof, Woof! 8 - )[p]Rascal

• bw
    Options
    stike,[p]Sorry one more question. You mentioned plum smoke, I know we don't have that, would any other kind be good. We have maple, cherry, hickory...[p]Thanks
    bw

• stike
    Options
    bw,
    grape vine is what i used. giava too.[p]something light is best. just a hint. i haven't tried hickory or oak, but it could be ok. they tend to be stronger though.[p]though, if you do a legit clambake and use hardwood for the fire, oak/maple/hickory would be in the mix.[p]

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    stike,
    I saw you post the grape vines a few days ago. Do you know if most any grap vines will be ok? I have lots of the wild ones here and have not tried them for anything except a fake cigarette 45 years ago, lol.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,
    i use wild concord grape vines because they are everywhere plus some cataba which is in the yard

fukahwee maine

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I am sure I will butcher the spelling but I beleive what we have here are muscadines. The grapes are ripe now & great to eat.

• stike
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,
    i bought two plants. one concord, the other green somethin or other.[p]the one i planted on the arbor i thought was concord. it wasn't. the concord never grew. i have green grapes, dunno what kind. the wood is fine though. if the grapes are good to eat, i'm sure yours will be good too.[p]but you really will need to let it dry out. i tried it when i thought it was seasoned enough (at 6 months) and it was still green and bitter. now, more like a year later, it is great. subtle and sweet. like me

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    stike,
    I will have to give them a try. No problem finding them dry & aged here. Everything from growing with fresh grapes to been hanging in the tree dead for years. Thanks.

• stike...[p]i saw that first pic on woosday... fantastic![p]i have a clambake custon steamer pot my grandfather made... [p]anyway... i need to do cherrystones on the egg and SOON
  • bw,[p]Did some two nights ago. Dome temp around 500-600 on a large. Put 2 dozen clams on, closed the dome, waited 2 minutes then opened the dome found two clams open, took them off. Closed he dome waited about a half a minute opened it, took off a few more opened clams. Repeated as necessary until all the clams were open. Maybe 5 minutes total. Damned easy way to do clams. These were all on the smallish cherrystone size, i.e. about 2 inches or less in their longest dimension.
  • stike
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    that clam pic was edited in photoshop. did you catch it? was very poorly done too.[p]not adjusted, but cropped and re-composited a little to fix the composition. look close, i didn't even try to hide it!

• stike,
    hahaha! nice one. i didn't see that at first cause my eye was zeroed in inside that first clam. that's a funky lookin plate setter you got there. musta dropped it and glued it together wrong, or something.