Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Firebox Poll

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After all the discussion about cracked fireboxes, it seems like most people have experienced this. How many people have cracked fireboxes??[p]I do. No problems cooking though.[p]NB
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Nature Boy,[p]My firebox has been deeply cracked in several places for over a year; no effect on cooking.[p]I don't plan to replace until it actually breaks into pieces.[p]Cathy
  • Nature Boy,[p]My egg was new in September, it has several cracks now.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    My firebox is as cracked as I am. Although the cracks seem to run through, it holds together. I took a good look at them last night when I shop-vaced out the egg. I guess that they represent battle scars of a well used egg. [p]As pure conjecture on my part, I think that the vent holes in the sides of the firebox may contribute to the cracks since they seem to run from one to the other. If there are any structural engineers out there, maybe they could explain.[p]They are coming to take me away, HeHe,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]Mine is cracked too.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy, mine is cracked in 2 places, but I don't know if it is all the way through. And I'm on my second ceramic grate.

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Nature Boy,
    Mine too. Been cracked for a long time now, but this weekend, I noticed it's now broken clean thru. Time to ask for a new one. Still cooks tho.[p]I think we are all hoping BGE engineering can figure out how to bolster the strength of this piece for the future. Has to be expensive for them to keep replacing it.[p]Mary

• Nature Boy
    Mary,
    Yeah, mine is cracked clean through, but the crack only runs from the top of the firebox to one of the holes. Seems like as long as it stays in one piece, there is no reason to replace it. I would have to believe that they are working on improving it.[p]It is nice to know that with BGE's fabulous customer service, it is up to us whether or not we want to replace it.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Nature Boy,
    My firebox is broke into 3 pieces. Not cracked but broke! I've been using it for several months this way and will take it in for replacement next time I go to BGE HQ. Has not been a problem in cooking though.[p]
    Sorry about the double post...it's what happens when you read from the bottom up :~)

• I noticed a crack in mine about three months after buying my Egg. It's not all the way through - it's probably about 2/3 of the way through. Still cooks well, and I won't replace it until the firebox is actually in more than one piece.

• BillyV
    BillyV Posts: 16
    Nature Boy,
    Yes, mine is cracked and with no noticeable effects.

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Nature Boy,[p]I didn't notice any cracks in mine when I cleaned it last weekend. I hate to jinx myself, but my firebox is over 2 years old and still going strong. I suppose if it ever does break, I wouldn't bother replacing it until it threatens to crumble. I feel extremely confident that the warranty will be honored quickly if ever needed many years down the road.[p]I hope this thread doesn't discourage anybody away from the benefits of the Egg....[p]Brant
  • Nature Boy
    Brant,
    It certainly wasn't my intention to discourage anyone from the benefits of the egg. Every month or so there is a post about a new cracked firebox, yet no one has noticed any adverse effects on the cooking. [p]I should have noted it in the initial post I made: BGEs customer support is unmatched in the industry, and they will gladly replace any damaged fireboxes. I have even heard they will ship a new one to you while you use your old one....then once you receive the new one, just ship the damaged one back.[p]What we are finding here is that it seems to be a common problem, but that our cooking is not affected. I was hoping that this thread would assure those with cracked fireboxes that they are not alone, and that the some of the best cooking in the world can be had, even with a crack. And those that feel the need to replace them will be handled well by BGE.[p]Thanks Brant
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Brant,[p]I couldn't agree with you more about this thread potentially scaring people away from the benefits of the egg, I had not thought about that when I actually started the cracked firebox thread. I probably should have taken it up with the BGE directly to begin with, and now, after having done that, they have graciously forwarded a replacement to me and it will be here in a few days. In reality, it wasnt necessary to even get a replacement but I guess I'm a bit retentive about my egg. But I also like what someone said that cracks in a BGE are like battle scars and represent a well used egg. I've used the egg several times with the crack and its like it wasnt even there. Had I not actually LOOKED I would not have even known it was there. Curiosity kills the cat they always say. Like others have said, I'll probably put in the replacement when/if the current firebox fails in total.[p]For you newcomers and for you potential BGE users, please don't take this thread the wrong way, sorry for any concerns tht this may have started.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]Honestly, this message was not on the message list when I posted mine or I would not have posted mine. I guess duplication of this point is good though. The customer service is unmatched in my mind. Kudos to the BGE people for their wonderful product and service.[p]Troy
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Brant,
    You bring up a very good point. However, I think that the responses are very positive. Although, the firebox is cracked, there is no reported change in performance. I think that that speaks volumes.[p]Let us compare a cracked firebox to a rusted burner on a gas grill. Once a burner rusts out, you have no choice but to replace it for $20 plus. Sometimes we forget where most of us came from, the gaseous world. Every time someone posts about a cracked firebox, the responses are always in the “No Problem” realm.[p]Keep on Posting,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy,
    Yep. I have multiple cracks. No problems cooking. May become a problem, however, if I ever decide to do a thorough ash pit cleaning.
    bd

• olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Nature Boy,[p]NO CRACKS[p]Small Egg used since August, in the early days I helped the fire along by pointing the air compressor hose at the bottom vent. Not a recommended technique especially if there is food on the grill, unless you like the crunch of ashes. [p]
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Nature Boy,
    Mine cracked not long after it was purchased, contacted BGE and was told bring it in for a free replacement. I continude to cook on it for at least a year before it finally collapsed. Took it in and it was replaced no question's asked.
    Today I'm installing a stainless steal damper and have not noticed any crack's in the new box. Might also add that this box is several year's old and has gone through some extreme temps.
    Nature Boy have not forgot about the diagram of the indirect cooking method, just can't figure out how to scan and e-mail at the same time. Is that anything like "Walking and chewing gum"?
    Mark

• Nature Boy, several small cracks in firebox and one complete split in fire ring.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,
    Mine is - no problem though.[p]Tim

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Nature Boy,[p]My firebox is cracked...and I an my second ceramic grate...but no problems cooking.[p]

• Nature Boy,[p]Yep, I've had hairline cracks for over a year now. When the time comes that it needs replaced I have no doubts that BGE will do so cheerfully. Until then, I'm not going to worry 'bout it...[p]Kevin

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Nature Boy,[p]I replaced my cracked firebox about a year ago and the new one is already showing me those cursed hairlines. No problem cooking however.[p]K~G

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Nature Boy,
    Same here as well.[p]H.[p]

• Nature Boy,My firebox has been cracked for ages-no effect on the cooking--Like Cat, I'm going to wait until it goes to pieces.
    yours in the egg--The Colonel

• Nature Boy,[p]Me too. Sounds like some kind of manufacturing/design defect - with this many folks having the cracks.[p]Mine can be lifted out in pieces. I guess I should call BGE and get it replaced.[p]

• Nature Boy
    Rob,
    Nice to know they will replace it without a question.[p]If yours is in pieces it is probably a good idea. As you can see, many have cracks, but it is still in one piece, and cooks just like new. [p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p] I did, after about 2 years of steady use. BGE replace
    it free so no complaints.[p]
    Dave T-berry

• Nature Boy, I need to make a correction. I performed a complete clean-out today and discovered my cracks in the firebox have joined and the firebox is now in 2 pieces. They still nest perfectly with each other,,,, but I also discovered my fire-ring is in 2 pieces too. Looking at a cross section of the breaks, it appears it has been broken for quite some time. The outer and center of the break (looking at it cross-sectionally) are dark from smoke leaking in. But the broke area toward the inside area of the egg is bright white, which indicates that it probably just broke. My brand new firebox grate is broke in two again too. I wired it together to prevent complete failure during an important cook. It appears the outer shell is still good as new,, but I worry that these cracks could compromise that too. Should we run crying to the webmaster yet? It's like having a sick baby on your hands. Worry, worry, worry!

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    King-O-Coals,[p]Just two pieces? Mine is in 3 pieces but, lives to cook yet another meal. Knowing the excellent warranty on the egg I'm not going to worry or even give it a second thought. It is a comfort to know that I can have it replaced at will so, I plan to just keep cooking until it is rendered totally useless by turning to powder or something.[p]It's just not a concern to me at this point. Has no effect whatsoever on producing an excellent meal. I'm hoping that by the time mine completely plays out, they will have the problem solved.