Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To buy or not to buy

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if the Egg is all it is cracked up to be. No pun intended. I was looking at the XLHD at BBQs Galore. The price is about $1100, $110 for the nest. I would use it primarily as a grill. From there, I would like to get into some smoking. I saw some posts concerning melted gaskets. Are there any other issues to be aware of? At this price, I'm really going to have to sell the wife on all of the plusses. Thanx

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Mike Akin,[p]Stop waffling and buy it. You won't be disappointed. [p]In my opinion the large is the better bet. You can do a 22lb+ turkey in it and I would wonder, after having seen the XL many times, if it's as versatile as the Large. [p]I'm sure a few will check in with their opinions as well. Good luck
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Mike Akin,
    Negociate a large and small for around the same price.
    BTW, you ask a cult if you should buy. Do you honestly think they are going to say no? LOL
    Mike

• Mike Akin,
    show her my first 5 months on the egg at the link below...

[ul][li]definitely buy[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Car Wash Mike ,
    Eggcellant idea, that combination is much more versatile than an XL. -RP

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Mike Akin,[p]I have to side with the "buy" crowd, but I think you would probably prefer a large with a small helper as CWM pointed out. The price is high compared to a gas grill, but it will last you forever. You'll never have to replace it.[p]You state you will use it mainly as a grill with a little smoking. I bet that will all change once you get hooked. Many of us here cook near about everything on the egg. I know I fire mine up at least 5 times a week, usually more. Just wait until you do your first pizza.....
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Mike Akin,[p]We've all suffered that hesitation, even those who had previously spent as much or more on gassers. It took me three years to get one and now I have two. The simple fact is that it really is (nearly) everything the fans say it is. [p]As mentioned, unless you have an unusually heavy demand, don't get the extra large. Get the large and once you're hooked, consider getting a second smaller one. Most suggest the large and the small. I have the large and the medium and when cooking for two, usually use the medium.[p]Melted gaskets are a problem only if you let the Egg get really really hot. I've had my large well above 1000 degrees (before I realized it wasn't necessary) and my gasket is still OK although a bit worn after three years. Your mileage may vary of course but I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.[p]BTW, look for other dealers in your area - Barbecues Galore is the high-priced retailer for this product and you may do better with a little searching. If you are in an area where an Eggfest is being held, you can get "once used" Eggs for a reduced price (see the links on the main webpage.)
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Mike Akin,
    As a relative newcomer, I say buy buy buy. [p]I really didn't like smoked food and bought mine to use as a grill. (I bought if for my husband for father's day two years ago. It seemed like reasonable to think I could get away with it since it's such a manly toy. <g>)[p]Anyway, it turns out that what I don't like is that very fake smoked flavor you get when you buy something like smoked turkey at the deli. I LOVE meatloaf and ribs smoked with guava.[p]It's really a small investment to make when you consider how much you'll save by never going out to eat anymore now that you can cook better than the restaurant. Of course, if your wife really loves going out to eat, you won't mention this to her.[p]Gwen

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Damn you Rick. Everytime I view your page I gain 5 pounds.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• Dover_Gal
    Options
    Mike Akin,
    We looked long and hard before we bought a grill.
    We used to have a Holland, which is a metal grill fueled by gas that does indirect cooking. It is poor on hot grilling and of course, there is the flavor of gas to contend with. We loved it, but it would lose heat in cold weather (and at the time, we were up in New Hampshire. Where 38 below was not uncommon.)[p]We have a Aussie Grill as an interim ($40 on sale) but it doesn't hold heat. [p]We were considering another Holland (the first didn't make the move with us for mysterious reasons) and we ended up seeing the Egg and buying it a week later. I wanted to smoke and barbecue as well as grill, and don't like dealing with the water aspect, and this seemed ideal.[p]So far, after a week of using it, we are egg-static and finding all kinds of things to do with it. Right now, we grill or roast our dinner and afterwards cook dessert or something with the residual heat, which I find a remarkably efficient use of fuel. The charcoal lump imparts a fine flavor, something my sensitivity to hydrocarbons can live with. I think we may end up with a second one (the guy says no) but I can imagine we'd do a majority of the major cooking on the Egg, especially since we cook weekends to make extra for weekday (we both work.)[p]I couldn't be more impressed with our little Egg. Right now it is doing a pork roast. We cobbled up an indirect system (a foil covered pan and some kind of round rack I had kicking around) until we get a plate setter or firebricks and such. We really enjoy using it.

• Mike Akin,
    I have 6 cookers. If I could only have one, it would be an EGG. Really, I'd like 4 EGGS :)

• Metalhead
    Options
    Mike Akin,
    if price is your concern...buy a small one and hen when you realize that this product is the bomb!!! then go out and buy the large[p]There is 2 of us in my household and I have the L/S combo...I started out w/the large and rolled my coins to buy the 2nd one a small.[p]If you do decide to buy come back and say the line that most of us are very familiar with[p][p]"I wish I'd bought this thing sooner"[p]Jan

• Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]DANG! And I though I cooked a bunch.
    P.S. You gotta job?

• Mike Akin, Buy it! we got a large in March and just ordered a small to go with it. I'm not sure if the Xlg would be my first choice if you are not cooking for more than 4 alot. We cook for 2 most nights and 4 about 3 nights a week and the large is fine for us. if there is a group of more than 6 the xl would be nice but with our new small on its way I think it will be better yet. one for high heet and one for warming. Good luck and wait till you try Pizza...........Ribs................Steaks.............bread..............pies.............I know but it is all good! LOL Julie

• Poodlemom
    Options
    Mike Akin,
    Just buy it - she'll love it. Reduces the calories in the food - that my philosophy and I'm sticking to it.

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Mike Akin,[p]There was a thread posted over the weekend about "Test driving an Egg". Locate a dealer near you and ask to borrow it for a weekend. Cook on it and I think you'll see why we are so fanatical about our Eggs.[p]Mike
  • Rick's Tropical Delight,
    That was AMAZING!!!! Much better than watching the food network on TV.

• Poodlemom
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    What is in the clay pot with the legs?

• Poodlemom,
    first time anyone's asked that question... what took ya'll so long!
    it's sweet potato wedges.[p]thankin the rest of you, that was thru feb.

• Mike Akin,[p]There a lots of reasons why you shouldn't buy an Egg.[p]Why do I hate it? Let me count the ways...[p]I hate it that I can't stand restaurant food any more.
    I hate it that my bread is better than any store's.
    I hate it that I can cook for 30 guests
    I hate it that I have to actually taste "real" meat
    I hate it that, when I can cook lo-'n-slo, the food is always juicy. Why can't it be card-boardey like its always been, before?
    I hate that my friends only love me for the food -- not for the real me I used to be!
    I hate it that my wife expects me to do all the cooking!
    I hate to have to cook in all weather, rain, snow, sleet...
    I hate it that my food no longer has that wonderful "burnt" or "overburnt" sensation.[p]Damn! I hate this thing! Too bad I cound-en-a hated it before I retired![p]:)[p]

• JD McGee
    Options
    Mike Akin,[p]What Rick advised...show her his site...she'll turn loose of the purse strings in no time...it worked for me. My wife is even attending the BGE fest with me next month AND researching pizza and artesan bread recipes. :)[p]JD

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • Mike Akin,[p]Awww, it ain't so great.[p]I've cooked something on it almost every day since I got it about 3 weeks ago. Some good and some not so good. But, the good was damn good and the not so good wasn't bad! Don't tell anyone but one day I just cooked air to see how long I could make a full load of lump last. I quite at 15 hours. Probably coulda gone 20+. Even with all my mistakes, I haven't had any problems with my gasket yet. I won't care even if I do. Buy one! I got a medium, sorta wish I had a large instead.
  • Thanks for all of the resonses! Especially after seeing Ricks site, my wife is all for it. BBQs Galore is the closest dealer here in southern California, so I'm stuck. We decided on the large egg. What optional items should I get and is the green egg lump worth the extra $? Where is the best place to go on the net to learn how to use the egg for cooking?
  • Mike Akin,[p]I'd say that The Nakid Whiz's web site is a must read. The amount of material which he covers about it all is very complete, and it will save you a lot of wasted time.[p]Congratulations on your decision. You'll never regret it.[p]Happy Egging
  • Mike Akin,[p]Oh yea, here's the URL:[p]http://nakedwhiz.com/
  • Bob In Texas
    Options
    Mike Akin,
    The positives outweigh the negatives. The gasket is a concern with some of us. But not that big a deal. I had problems, but man, what hatches out of that egg is unbelievable. I wouldn't take for mine. It looks as if my second gasket is going to hold for awhile. I think I just got it too hot on the first fire up. As far as price, I saw the XLBGE at BBQ Galore in Frisco for $9xx. Seems as if that was what I was quoted where I bought my LBGE. Good Luck.....Happy BBQing whatever you get.

• Denio
    Options
    Mike Akin,
    Good choice on the Large.. "with a small in the future"
    Don't worry about the gasket.. start out low and everything will be fine. should be a couple of years before you have to worry about replacing it.
    Optional items.. plate setter.. grid gripper.. ash tool.. are three to start with and then go from there...pizza stone, extended grid.. the list is endless..
    As far as lump, I don't think Green Egg Lump is worth the cost. I use Royal Oak from WalMart... Half the price and just as good..

• Mike Akin,
    *blows smoke off mouse*
    excellent!

• EddieMac
    Options
    Unless you're cooking really large volumes of food, I would recommend just buying the large. On the LG BGE you can easily smoke 28 - 32lbs. of Boston Butts and that feeds a bunch of folks! The gasket is a minor thing and like other posts mentioned, the positives far outweigh the negatives. An inconvenience. Most things that do go wrong with the BGE are user error and that's because most folks are so darned eager to fire the rascal up and start cooking before reading directions and really know what they're doing. Better to ask questions here first![p]The food you can produce on the BGE is unbelievable and the support of this group is unrivaled. Period. Don't worry about selling the wife on anything. Buy it, start cooking and she'll be a believer...and soon.[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    I am impressed every time I look at your page Rick.[p]You should come down to Eggtoberfest!!

• JD McGee
    Options
    Mike Akin,[p]If you are up for a road trip...you can pick up a large "Demo Egg" at the PNW Eggfest for 642.00. They come as a package deal and include:[p]1 Large BGE with nest, plate setter, Egg mates (side shelves), Ash tool (rake), and a grill gripper. [p]Average retail for the above items is about 950.00.[p]It would be a great way to see them in action and pick the "Egg-sperts" brains! LOL! I can't wait to pick mine up! :)[p]JD
    [ul][li]http://www.pnweggfest.com/[/ul]
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com