Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

filet mignon with rum butter?????

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
Has anyone tried filet mignon with rum butter????? Would our hi temps. still make this worthwhile????
Thanks, New Bob
( From: Jonathan's Big Batch O' Recipes)
4 servings
2/3 cup Puerto Rican dark rum
1 tbs. lime juice
4 beef tenderloin steaks
3 tbs. butter
1/4 cup minced shallots
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. minced parsley[p]Combine half of rum, shallots, lime juice and pepper in shallow dish. Add steaks, marinate 30-60 minuets. Turn once, sprinkle with salt.
Heat remaining rum, shallots, lime juice and pepper in small pan on preheated outdoor grill. Stir in butter a small piece at a time. Stir in parsley. Brush steaks with half of rum butter and grill 8-10 minuets. Turn, brush with remaining rum butter, grill another 8-10 minuets or until desired doneness.[p]Cooking times would have to be adjusted for the Mr. Egg depending on your preferred cooking temp.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I am a purest with great meat like filet mignon. I do them a lot, I prefer sea salt and pepper.[p]The recipe sounds OK but that rum will burn because of the sugar. You might also get a lot of liquids smoking and you never know what that will be like, could get things fired up too much. I would try the marinate and leave it at that, maybe brush some on once.[p]Let us know.[p]Tim
  • Bordello
    Options
    Tim M,
    I have out of state company and the Mrs. wants to try something different. I appreciate your thoughts, will let you know the results. Think I may do mine plain, maybe a piece of maple honey bacon around it.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I also tend to be a purist with cooking steak, but that reads like it would be a nice change of pace. I would sear the marinated steaks first, then apply the sauce for the dwell. Heat the sauce to 160°F to remove the alcohol from the sauce as it will flare when being applied to the steaks. [p]Thanks for the recipe![p]Spin
  • Bordello
    Options
    Spin,
    My company is worried about the fat in the butter, what would you think about using some olive oil in place of it????? If yes, I probably would not need to heat the second part of it because I would not need to melt the butter. Maybe just marinate them, don't do the heated sauce thing and cook as I normally would.
    Happy Egg-en
    New Bob

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    New Bob, I think that it sounds wonderful. I'd try the recipe as is the first time. JCA

• Bordello
    Options
    J Appledog,
    It's nice to see how each of us is different in our approach to food. I guess the only way to find out is trial and error. I will post later what I end up doing and how it turned out. ( at least in my opinion)
    Happy Egg-en
    New Bob the

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Most of the fat in the meal comes from the meat. If I was to replace some of the butter with an oil, I would use canola oil to avoid the olive flavor. I would still do the sauce in the attempt to do the recipe justice and would heat it to evaporate the alcohol, soften the shallots and parsley, and render the mix of flavors the recipe provides.[p]You could certainly cook them with the marinade alone.[p]Spin
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    New Bob,
    Never tried it, but can't wait to hear the outcome.
    Mark