Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin

Options
WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you recommend using a brine on pork tenderloin? Marinade? Neither?[p]How many should I cook to feed 4 (3 of 4 are serious carnivores)?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    This is a wonderful cut of meat without a brine. One of the best tenderloins I have done was using KennyG's Jerked pork chops marinade. Char-crust is also excellent (TimM's favorite). [p]2 tenderloins should feed 4. Leftovers make some righteous sammiches, so couldn't hurt to cook 3! Grill direct until 150 internal. Yum. [p]Some thoughts.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • I forgot, man!

[ul][li]K~G's not a jerk[/ul]
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    Lots of great recipes for pork tenderloin out there, and it's hard to screw them up, direct or indirect. I have found however, that going indirect eliminates the need for turning (and opening the Egg!)--so I suggest establishing your temp with the bricks or a plate setter, at around 275-300, and either use the Polder or check it with an instant read after about 20-25 minutes to see where you're at, and if you're at the doneness you like. If you like a little spice flavor, click on the Submitted Recipes section of this site, and check out my "Puerco Adobo" recipe for tendies---not as spicy hot as you'd think, but with more cumin and garlic flavors than you'd expect! Happy Cooking!
    Big Murth

• WudEyeDoo,[p]Last time I did pork loins, I didn't brine them. I did wrap each loin in about 4 or 5 pieces of bacon, secured with toothpicks, and mopped with real maple syrup towards the end of the cook. . I did them direct at 350 until I got an internal reading of 175.[p]Eight of these fed 2 ultra-carnivores, 3 other adults and 3 children with enough left over for a couple of sammiches.
    They were yummy![p]HTH,
    Kevin[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    NB,[p]I've been saving this post from KG from August of 2000. Tried this once and it was right up my alley. Just looking at it now makes my mouth water. Might bring this one to the Meadowlands this Sunday...[p]<hr>
    Are there any hot pepper enthusiasts out there? If so, I've got to share the recipe from dinner last evening. Courtesy of the Mike
    Anderson's Restaurant (New Orleans) cookbook.[p]For a pair of pork tenderloins (usually 1 package and 2-2.5 lbs of meat)[p]Marinate 2-4 hours in a mixture of
    1 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup honey
    2-3 Tbs. cajun seasoning such as Prudhommes, Essence of Emeril, etc.[p]Pull from fridge and allow to approach room temp and make a cut lengthwise in each loin not quite all the way through (much as
    you would cut a sandwich roll)[p]Spread a light layer of softened cream cheese in the pocket you've created and arrange some thinly sliced jalapenos on top of the
    cheese. Now fold the loins back together and grill over a hot fire of 600* or so. A wide spatula comes in handy here. I used cherry
    chips for firespice. It was wonderful blend of flavours (hehe) although maybe too intense for the unaccustomed palate. I may make
    this one for EggFest.[p]K~G

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]I had to get out my drool bucket as well! Sounds righteous.
    Thanks!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    Add some chopped chipotle peppers to your marinade...you won't be sorry.[p]I agree with cooking indirect, but I like to sear the outside of mine first. I'll pop them on my TEC grill (gasp! sacrilege!) and sear all sides then move them to the egg. Can't be beat!