Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked bread

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally got around to baking bread on my BGE, and it worked just like everyone said it would. I used the frozen dough and let it rise according to the instructions. I placed it directly on a pre-heated (400 degrees) and corn meal covered pizza stone. It was done in about 20 minutes but I let it run another 5 minutes because I like my bread crusty. It was delicious, especially with some butter spread on it. Biscuits are next on my experiment agenda.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Spring Chicken,[p]MMMMM.... Just thinking of it is making my mouth water. I just did a butt. Wanna share![p]Smokey

• Smokey,
    Sounds good to me. I am so inspired by what I can do on the BGE that I plan on getting my homebrew tools out of the attic and make me another batch of "Catahoula Moonbeam" beer to go with some of my smoked roadkill. I may even tackle winemaking for more formal occasions using store-bought meat. My Mom does a few batches of wine each year and it is always good. "THEN" would be a good time to bring it all together for a Texas size party.[p]Spring Chicken

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Spring Chicken,[p]That's kinda what I'm doing here in Atlanta on the 20th. Just havin a few good friend over for a little cookout. I think I'll call it Eggtoberfest ... Yah, that's it![p]Smokey
  • Smokey,
    Sounds like a good name for a gathering of Egg-heads. I can't make it this year but I'm planning on being there in years to come, for sure. Meanwhile, y'all have a good time.[p]Spring Chicken

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Spring Chicken,[p]Congratulations on the first of many. My only comment is that there is no need to use cornmeal on the hot pizza stone as the crust will quickly form, freeing the dough from the stone. The cornmeal will only stick to the dough (adding a slight grittiness, and/or burn on the stone, giving an burnt taste to the meal.[p]Spin
  • Spin,
    You're right, the corn meal did burn and make the crust gritty. I just brushed it off. I'll try it without the corn meal next time. Also, I tried re-heating some of the leftover bread and it was pretty bad compared to the hot-off-the-grill stuff. I'll just have to remember to ask Santa for a second Egg for making bread. By the way, some cheese melted over onto my new pizza stone when I made pizza and it looks like it may be there forever. Any ideas on how to get the stain off?[p]Spring Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Spring Chicken,
    The burnt cheese on your pizza stone is the beginning of a well-seasoned stone. Soon it will be black, and will work better than ever!! Whatever you do, don't listen to Mop! He'll tell you to stick it in the dishwasher. [p]NB (no spring chicken!)

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Spring Chicken,[p]Let it burn after the cook is done and wipe off any pieces. It will make the stone better.[p]Spin
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Spring Chicken,
    I bake bread in batches and freeze the loaves, first wrapping them individually in foil and then in ziplock freezer bags. When I want fresh bread, I remove the loaf from the freezer and let it thaw during the day; Before dinner, I preheat the oven to 350 and lay the "naked loaf" on the oven rack for about 5 minutes. The result is a nice crispy crust with a very tender crumb. We've decided it's as good as right off the Egg. What you don't want to do is re-heat it in the foil, as that makes the crust chewy rather than crispy. And forget the microwave for reheating bread or pizza. Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Gretl