Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef jerky or Shoe leather?

Palisin
Palisin Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made my first attempt on beef jerky yesterday. I made a spicy soy marinade and a teriyaki marinade. Everything was going great. I thought. Temp of the egg was 200-250 and keeping steady. Place two levels of the marinated flank steak on the BGE and left to watch football and the developments in the world. I returned 8 hours later to hardly palatable meat crust. Help.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Palisin,
    Jerky is one of the things I like to do at 200 maximum. Did you have an indirect barrier?
    I have only done brisket from sirloin tip and brisket, so I can't comment on the flank steak.
    HTH a tad.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Sorry, I meant I have only done JERKY from sirloin tip and brisket, so I can't comment on the flank steak.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Palisin,[p]I've done jerky in a dehydrator but not the Egg yet. The temps you did your meat with cooked the meat rather than drying it out. Keep your temps well below 200 if you can. I'm going to try smoking my meat for a few hours then transfer it to the dehydrator. You can also use and oven set for 170*, if you can't maintain 170* just keep the oven door open with a thermometer monitoring temperature.[p]When you see sales on rump roast, snatch up a few and use it for jerky. It's very very lean, if there's any fat, make sure you cut it off.[p]Keep tryin'[p]CC
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Like Nature Boy says, there are a few things that should help you make successful jerky:[p] o Keep the dome temp under 200. I find that's the most difficult part, but when the dome temps above 200, you are cooking, not drying the meat. 170-180 would be ideal.
    o Cook them indirect. If you have fire bricks, now's the time to use them. They provide 2 advantages: lower dome temps are easier, and flare ups from the little bit of fat on the meat are eliminated.
    o Don't smoke it for so long. Somewhere between 2 and 4 hours will probably be enough.
    o Use lean meat. I like to use top sirloin roast, personally.[p]I'm a fan of the following recipe:[p] http://ceyeager.home.mindspring.com/jerky.html[p]--sdb

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    09_17_0016_07_01_small.jpg
    <p />Palisin, as the others have stated, the temperature and your ability to keep it at 200 (or lower) is essential - I have frequently started at about 160 and let the temp rise to the 200 mark later - but then I've also been known to leave it on 10-12 hours. I prefer brisket - the butcher trims it and I slice it. Check out the link. Good luck on your next attempt :~}[p]
    [ul][li]Jerky[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Gfw, Good to see you posting again. I took your basic recipe and modified for my taste. Babybacks, jerky, babybacks, and jerky are my two favorite things to EGG.[p]CWM

• Gfw
    Car Wash Mike, great minds think alike! Also my favorites, but when I have to, I also do steak, burgers, pork, chili, etc... Life is GOOD! :~}[p]

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Gfw, Hello Gordon, when I read this post I thought,'where is Gfw, when you need him!' ;) Good to hear from you friend and please post often.
    Later,
    ChefRD

• Gfw,
    How do you determine when the jerky is done?[p]Also, someone I spoke with makes his jerky by placing it on bamboo skewers, then hanging it thru the grill so it requires no turning. Sounds like a great idea.[p]Kermit

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Gfw,
    Have just reviewed your previous day's posts re: jerky---and I see you are a devotee of the firebricks. I'm still a plate-setter kind of guy. I cook on a Large and am hoping to do some jerky (my first effort) soon. Do you think it makes much difference between using your brick setup vs.plate setter for an indirect cook? Thanks for your answer, and your great website!! Big Murth

• Gfw
    Big Murth, I don't think it makes much difference - the real key is the low heat.

• Gfw
    Kermit, I usualy start sampling after about six hours - I take it off just before I think its done.

• Gfw
    ChefRD, I read more than post - except tonight - tomorrow is time to make some more of the great 'black bean chili'! :~}[p]