Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage making pics

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made 3 types of sausage today, fresh Italian, cured Italian, and summer sausage. I will smoke all but the fresh sausage tomorrow. [p]The meats.
IMG_0361Small.jpg[p]The meat cut up and seasonings.
IMG_0362Small.jpg[p]Grind them up.
IMG_0364Small.jpg[p]Mix in the cure.
IMG_0365Small.jpg[p]Stuff the casings.
IMG_0367Small.jpg[p]Twist the links.
IMG_0366Small.jpg[p]Stuffing the summer sausage.
IMG_0369Small.jpg[p]That was a lot of work, I got 6 lbs of summer sausage and 7.5 lbs each of fresh and cured Italian sausage. -RP

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    AZRP,
    You have taken this "cooking" thing to a whole new level. There was a time in a much earlier life that I was part of a family that grew the pig, killed the pig, cut up the pig and made many pig products out of the pig before eating it. As I age, I find it much easier to just buy the pig parts already made into neat little packages that can be easily cooked and eaten during TV Commercials.[p]Spring "Spoiled Rotten And Lazy To The Bone" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• AZRP
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Been there done that, I think I'll skip the growing and killing the pig part, although that was the best pork I ever tasted. -RP

• WoodChuck
    Options
    AZRP,
    This was something my mom introduced us 5 kids to down here in the Ozarks when we weere young! She told us what it was when we had developed a taste for it in our teens![p]Let's all RAISE THE BAR - B - Q!

• Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    AZRP,
    It all looks awesome. I like the looks of the italian sasuage. If it's not to much trouble for the recipe ingredients. Thank You. [p]Pork Butt Mike

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    AZRP,
    Dang, those look good, Randy! You gonna bring some of those to Atlanta??

• AZRP
    Options
    Pork Butt Mike,
    I use the Hi Mountain mix, its way better than any recipe I've tried in the past. -RP

• AZRP
    Options
    egret,
    There won't be any left by then, I was thinking those spicy grilled shrimp and buffalo chicken cheese crisps. Whatdaya think. -RP

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    AZRP,
    Yeah, baby! Those will go over big time.......

• TomCPA
    Options
    AZRP,[p]I am thinking of making my own sausages. After seeing these picks, I probably will. [p]AZRP - how long after making them do you grill them up?[p]Tom
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    AZRP,
    Thank You, I like there products also. [p]Mike

• AZRP
    Options
    TomCPA,
    The cured ones go into the smoker between 12 and 24 hours, the fresh ones sit over night in the fridge and they are ready to cook or freeze. -RP

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    AZRP,
    Those look fantasctic Randy, thanks for the assembly pics! I'm sure they will taste as good as they look. Do you have any drama with the Arizona heat while making sausage? I'm a little worried about keeping everything cold, this time of year during the process?

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    AZRP,
    Those look fantasctic Randy, thanks for the assembly pics! I'm sure they will taste as good as they look. Do you have any drama with the Arizona heat while making sausage? I'm a little worried about keeping everything cold, this time of year, during the process?

• AZRP
    Options
    orion11,
    That is a concern, the meat grinds much better the colder it is. As soon as it is cubed and the seasonings are mixed in, it goes into the freezer until it just starts to freeze. Then I grind it and it goes back into the freezer while I set up the stuffer. Once stuffed it goes into a ziplock and into the fridge over night to let the flavors meld, and let the cure do its thing. -RP