Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling Old and New Briskateers

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Collage-Brisket.jpg
<p />Hey everybody, [p]In the last week or so, brisket posts have been about as popular as turkey posts at Thanksgiving. After dragging my feet forever, I have finally gotten the brisket page on my site up. So far, our friend King-O-Coals is the only one that has given me some feedback. [p]Now might be as good as time as any to ask, so....... if you have time, give it a read and let me have your comments. I'm sort of after corrections and/or additions. And when you read it, does it make sense? I know everyone has their own style and I am no exception, so bear that in mind too.[p]I have some more pictures to add and I have not covered the hot-n-fast technique yet, they are coming. (I didn't feel like dodging all the bullets at once.)[p]It you don't want to clog up the board, my e-mail is included with this post, feel free to drop me a line.[p]Thanks[p]~thirdeye~
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Thanks to you thirdeye, I know how to make pastrami, and that to me is hands down better than plain 'ol brisket.[p]Now about this hot & fast thing....do tell (you can email me)
  • thirdeye
    I guess the page link would help....

[ul][li]Brisket[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    Tell me about this hot and fast thing. I've got a flat in the frig and no room in the egg til about 10am tomorrow. See my post.
    Thanks,
    mike

• thirdeye
    d7389712.jpg
    <p />AlaskanC,[p]You will have to wait. This is not for everyone. All I'm saying is, it's possible to start a nice brisket in the morning and have that sucker ready before dinner time.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• AlaskanC
    So I have to wait to find out how to do something fast? Hmm... fine. I guess I can wait. :)
    I've got a brisket that I need to pull out of the freezer so hurry with the instructions![p]I've gotta post a pic of my poor little freezer - its been attacked by the little bears so many times this summer that it's hard to beleive that it still works!! There's a 900 pounder out there that hasn't made it into our neighborhood yet, but if it does that poor sucker is toast.

• AlaskanC,[p]How much brisket do you get from a 900-pounder?[p]:)[p]Tri-tip?[p]:) :)[p]
  • thirdeye
    Emand Ms'Dad,[p]You really need a whole one and the timing is really tight. I was not satisfied with the first three I did. The next 5 or 6 got better and better.[p]Here is the deal, four guys are independently feeding me bits and pieces of information, but they all have different pits, (none are ceramics) which is really tough. None of them wants to go on the record as a Guest Pit Boss either. There has been a lot of talk the last year or so on other forums, so it does work.....Keep an eye on my site, I want to do one or two more to fine tune my style.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    Thanks, I'll look for updates. your pastrami method has made me the most popular guy in the neighborhood.
    Mike

• thirdeye
    AlaskanC,[p]Well, maybe you could be a Guinea pig.....[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• AlaskanC
    Aren't I always??
  • AlaskanC
    Well, I've eaten grizzly when I was a kid. It was ok. My cousin shot a huge one last year, and it was so infested with tapeworms that I will never eat one again. Gross.
    That being said, I have my bear permit for this year, and so does my daughter. I'm going for a dark chocolate brown one, and she wants to get a big cinnamon colored one. For every large adult male that we shoot it frees up 5 square miles for a sow or smaller bear to move in. That way they get out of my back yard and back into the woods where they belong.[p]plus I get a cool rug with a head and claws

• If you want to cook amazing brisket, take Dr. BBQ's class.[p]Spacey
  • thirdeye,
    Where can I find your site? As you can I guess, I'm a newbie.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Eggmeister,
    This should help. Great site!

[ul][li]http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    AlaskanC,[p]I ain't touching that one.... How 'bout those Broncos??[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• AlaskanC
    thirdeye,
    I dunno - do you ride them? [p]I don't do sports.
    My dad told us years ago that the only people stupider than the ones that play sports are the ones that sit back and watch them.[p]wanna touch that one?? (btw - my dad and I share many, many different opinions)

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    thirdeye,[p]Isn't that a lipton one?[p]Dude, really, sell a recipe book!
  • AlaskanC
    My daughter is a killer volleyball player, and its funny to watch my dad eat his words!!!
    He gave us that nugget of wisdom when he expected us all to be tugboat captains like him. No time for sports when you're draggin' barges. ;)

• AlaskanC,
    What is fishing? A sport.
    Don't you have contests?[p]Mike

• AlaskanC
    Nope. I think it's totally stupid when people call it a sport. If I win money, its only because I was lucky that a big one bit my hook - certainly not a sport. I think they make the designation because we have "sport" fishing and commercial fishing. I'm guessing sport means just for fun or something.
  • AlaskanC,
    Bassmasters and all the other extreme fishing contests were a fluke. I was unlucky last night when my QB got sacked.
    I remember you posting about some crazies in Sitka.
    I guess you had no fun in cashing in?[p]Mike

• AlaskanC
    Jeeves - I wish he would!!! I love his writing style.
  • AlaskanC
    No Habla whatever the hell you are speaking there. Crazies in Sitka??? never.[p]hey call me again -I promise I wont cry!!! WTF is a QB? a cube? sacked? what?
  • thirdeye,
    I tried the hot & fast packers a few times. Will continue to do them h & f unless I do them with butts. Were very moist, but still had great bark. Cooked them indirect at 325* - 350* for about 2 hrs. or plaeau temp.(170*), then seal in foil pan and cook about another 2 hours. Test for done with fork or probe.
    MM

• thirdeye,
    That looks great, and the directions sound complete. I'm book marking this for when the time comes. I like that you give meat selection tips. Any thing more specific for the egg?
    Al

• thirdeye
    e1931a64.jpg
    <p />MesaManiac,[p]Moisture has been a lesser problem for me than bark. It's a given that all that foil time softens it, but I was reaching foiling temps before it matured with a good color. I'm happy with the color in the top picture.
    The picture is one of the earliest attempts. [p]ef202375-1.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Al B,[p]Thanks Al, I'll look in my notes for anything else that is Eggspecific. Here is a clip from something I plan on adding to the PWF&S site:[p]Most of the stuff I write about is usually general in nature. My temperatures are called out as "about XXX° and my times are "around X hours". Most of my recipes allow for personal variations, and I make that really clear. Partially this is due to the fact that I cook that way. I wing it alot. The other reason is that I believe that technique is more important than having all the recipes in the world. Understand technique and you can make a bunch of different recipes. [p]Whether or not most folks realize it, most of my featured recipes are laced with technique. Take some of my scratch bean recipes, Mrs ~t's~ green chile or Car Wash Mike's ribs for example. None of them have to followed to a T in order to come out consistently good. One or two changes personalizes them. Once you do them a couple of times, things just start happening naturally and get easier every time.[p]A couple of years ago a younger cook asked the same question that was asked yesterday .... something like "my brisket is too big to fit in my Egg". I told him my standard fix, "stick a beer can under it, and pull it out later when it shrinks some". I got this scathing e-mail asking what kind of a smart ass I really was. He had just spent $1500 on a Egg & some toys, purchased a $45 brisket, a bunch of expensive wines and beers, invited several guests for the "big barbecue" and was still selling the wife on the benefits of the Egg. Now some dude tells him to "stick a beer can under it". Boy, was he tore down. I replied, and being very truthful, told him I had done the same thing once, and that's how I solved the problem. By the way, his turned out good and when he shared the story with his guests they all got a good laugh. Hopefully he is a technique man now too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    You don't use the pan the first half of the cook, Right? I didn't take pictures of mine. I'll have to remember to next time. I usually get about a cup of juice in the pan which I pour over the meat after I cut it.
    I did one for a friend who was going camping the week of the 4th of July. He had me cook it and then freeze it. He said he could have given my phone # to a dozen people who tasted it. I'm glad he didn't!
    MM

• thirdeye
    MesaManiac,[p]Well, yes and no. Ed over at KickAssBBQ is one of the more vocal pioneers when it comes to short cut cooking. He is the one that got me interested in playing around with it. He does everything in open pans, then just covers them. Butts, brisket, ribs and I think chuckies too. But he cooks on a big Lang. For him it's a heat shield and he can rotate them around easier and faster. With that size of a cooker you dont want the door open too long. When I tried using a pan, like in the second picture, it did not work in the Egg. Those first couple of hours I cook right on the grate above a drip pan and plate setter.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    Yeah, I don't use a pan the first 2 hours. Just like starting a normal brisket except at 350* dome. I do the same with chuck, except when I pan it, with it I add onions & garlic and a wine reduction sauce, later potatoes & carrots.
    MM