Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me with Brisket Slicing

Options
Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked up a delicious brisket overnight. A lot of DP cowlick and some kosher salt and a little bit of DP Raising the steaks. It was a 9lb whole brisket. I am having trouble getting nice slices. The brisket wants to fall apart and really lends itself to chopping rather than slicing. I don't have expensive knives but they are decent and I sharpen them before I slice brisket. The brisket was really moist and delicious but I am wondering if perhaps I am cooking it too long or perhaps need to let it cool a little more before I slice it. I am cutting across the grain. Any thoughts would be appreciated[p]Kinger[p]

Comments

• Kinger aka JNK,
    My mom chills brisket (she does hers on some kind of smoker) and then slices it on a Krups meat slicer then next day. Paper thin. She gets more servings this way, sopped in her barbecue sauce, which is a recipe in NYT cookbook, if I remember. People love it.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Kinger aka JNK,[p]You have now found out it is possible to have brisket that is too tender. You actually did too good of a job on it. You either went too high with the internal or braised it too long in the foil. Try going thicker. it's your only choice. I use an electric fillet knife when that happens to me.[p]The upside is, chopped brisket is an overlooked treat. Finely chop some sweet onion and mix in some sauce and it is a feast fit for a king.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I know it's not the "right" way, but I really like soft squishy brisket like Kinger described. yum!! I find that unless you have a reliable source for your brisket, you never really know what you've got 'till its been on there for 17 hours or so.[p]Did I mention that I am "locked" in my room? I'm really getting hungry. Do you know the tensile strength of knotted sheets hung from about 20 feet? I might be able to get away without detection.....hmmm.....

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]Hmmm, I'm more into properties of metals, but do you know the thread count of the aforementioned sheets?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    Well, what I am thinking is that tensile strenth lessens along the length of something, right? so would I be better off putting the 200 thread count at the top and the 400 at the bottom, or the other way around? Either way, I've fallen further and only broke my skull in 3 places. I think I'm doing fine these days...lol
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    dover_gal,
    That reminds me alot of pastrami. You've gotta try thirdeye's method for making it. It is awesome!!

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the input. It was in the foil for a really long time. Sure tastes great! I like the idea of the sweet onions mixed in..... and like todays plan for lunch.[p]Kinger