Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined Turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I brined a turkey breast yester day and it came out pretty good, very juicy. However, I didn't really notice much taste from the sugar, herbs, etc. I only soaked it about 7 hours, is that not enough? Also, does any one have a good, simple brine reciepe?[p]Nothing too complicated but that will really help the flavor.[p]Thanks

Comments

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    Bri,[p]Cook Illustrated (outstanding magazine, well worth the subscription) just did a detail segment on brining.[p]Basic recipe (per 1# of meat)
    1 qt. cold water
    1/4 cup plus 2 tbls Morton's kosher salt
    1/2 cup sugar[p]Brine 1 hour for every pound of meat. I did a 3# pork loin yesterday. I tripled the recipe above and set in frig for 3 hours. It came out very juicy. You can add any seasoning you wish to your brine.[p]Run down to your local magazine rack and pick up a copy of that magazine, CI goes into great detail on how they come up with their ultimate recipes.[p]CC[p]

• Bobby Que
    Options
    Bri,[p]Here is a link to an article on brining that I found helpful.[p]My last brined turkey breast sat in a brine with soy sauce, pepper corns, ground lemon grass, red pepper (piment d'esplette), as well as the basic brine. [p]You can also find information on brining at Cooksillustrated.com.

[ul][li]Brining Information[/ul]
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Bri,
    I got this from a lady here,, but I have a blank spot in my brain where her name is.[p]It has some good info about brining and the basic recipe for the mixture. I will think of her name, about the time I hit "submit". Was it you Julie? NO,, it was Cat. Glad I waited and searched my email addys.

[ul][li]Ready for the brine![/ul]
  • Bobby Que, great article. Haahaaa,, Bri, feel free to use either one of us for your needed info.:')

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    K.O.C.,
    Good to see you back Bruce...You coming to Atlanta for Eggtoberfest.
    Larrt

• YB, thanks,, and nawhh,, I, we(Guru) had big plans for the first and the end of October this year, but it seems like everything under the sun keeps popping up. I haven't heard much from him so he must be up to here in work. I guess I will just keep practicing. One day, we will make it for the fest.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    K.O.C.,
    Sorry you and Guru can't make it...Some of these boys know how to party...It will be a blast.
    Larry

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Who-a! Look whos back!
    Heeeeeeee!
    ST

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Bri,
    ...jumbo shrimp?

• Bobby Que
    Options
    King-O-Trolls,[p]At least you recommend good articles.
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    To Everyone that Reads the preceeding Post: hit the link and then press 'Print'. Someday you will be wondering where you saw the definitive word on brining and will be searching archives and/or pleading for the link again. Just print it now through this link. Believe me. You will want this in your printed file along with JJ's rub, CW's jerky, NB's brisket notes etc etc. Trust me....Thanksgiving....Christmas.....whatever...you want this info....Print it now........ save yourself time later..LOL Thanks K.O.C (and Bobby Que)....
    Qfan