Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket.......But Have A Question

Bob In Texas
Bob In Texas Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The first brisket I've smoked come off good, but I have a question. Supposing a 5 lb'er takes 2 hrs per lb, being 10 hours. But, the heat goes up, rising, rising, all the way to 280° and you reach the 200° internal temp. in 8 hours. Do you pull it off the grid just as soon as the internal is 200°, even though it's only 8 hrs, or let it sit and coast at 200° for the next 2 hours? I couldn't have done it without the Maverick ET73. That was worth every penny.

Comments

• Bob In Texas,[p] 200 internal is 200 internal. It doesn't matter how fast it got there.[p] Having said that the SLOWER it gets there the better.[p] Here is the big trick DO NOT play with the vents when you put the meat in. Otherwise you'll be chasing the temp all night. It's tough not to play with the vents because the temp will drip quite a bit. Just remember meat is cold (< 40 degs) and you opened the lid. Let the egg come back to temp on it's own.[p][p]
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Celtic Wolf,
    Temperature will "drip"?! Never heard that term before.........

• egret,[p] Don't start - Grape Boy!! You'll fit in *A* Jalapeno quite nice..
  • Celtic Wolf, yep, your right, chased it all night trying to keep in the 200°-235° range. Looking back(hind sight), after putting the meat in (it did take a dip), I should have left it alone, but didn't...just had to adjust. I will know next time. I did hit the 197°-200° in less that the 10 hours. That was the reason for my question. I didn't know if it would de-grade the meat by pulling it off early, or make it dry and tough leaving it on for the 10 hrs. But, I suppose that's where common sense takes over.