Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

HELP - lower vent question - love my bge's

eddy-turneddy-turn Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just received a second bge which revealed a problem with my first, that being, the lower vent needs two hands to operate. The sliding door/screen binds and does not move freely. Since the egg is in a nest, the bolts are not accessable without removing the egg from the nest. [p]Is this a common problem and, if so, what's the fix?[p]Advice welcome.[p]Thanks[p]

·

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 14,705
    eddy-turn,
    removal from the nest for easy access would be best - but you may be able to just turn it enough as needed without full lift out. Having had the same problems since I retrofitted my vent doors when the new screen came out, I merely took a slotted screwdriver and carefully worked it along the bent metal spreading it so both move.

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • RRP,[p]so the problem is in the adjustment? [p]are you saying that the tracks (top and bottom) that the door/screen moves on needs to be widened using a flat screw driver?[p]
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,025
    eddy-turn,
    Your spark arrestor (screen) is on the inside and the solid SS door on the outside? Yes??

·
  • egret,[p]yep, that's the set up
    ·
  • eddy-turn,[p] Personally I think the tighter fit is better.
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,705
    eddy-turn,
    if it was a retrofit then yes - you have doubled the amount of metal that the bend was originally meant to handle...as for the Wolf's statement mine was so tight I had to use brute force to move it so tight might be nice but too tight isn't right!

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • RRP,[p] Wimp :)[p]OK too tight is not good, especially when your fingers come crashing against the metal stop. Too loose isn't good either, because the whole thing can slide right out of the tracks on the other end.
    ·
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    RRP,
    O.K. Ron,
    That's enough. LOL[p]I about split a gut when I read[p] " tight might be nice but too tight isn't right!' [p]How do you dream up these things????????????????[p]Cheers,
    Bordello[p]

·
  • eddy-turn, I have a large BGE on a large table and it does take two hands to adjust the screen and the door. Just the nature of the beast. Usually only have to do it twice to get to temperature so no big deal.

·