Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron or Steel Wok

Options
ChefDave
ChefDave Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have always used a steel wok when cooking inside. Can I get some comments on what is appealing to current users (steel or cast iron) and why they prefer the wok they use.

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Letts-Do-It,
    I have used spun or beated (good word)steel for many years because for me they heat up faster, if you take care of them they do not rust and the cast iron takes longer to heat up.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    TsunamiTenderloin4.jpg
    <p />Letts-Do-It,[p]Cheeeeeep Carbon steel (hand hammered if you can find them)![p]Although I like using Cast pots and skillets in my Egg...[p]As far as Woks, and Wok cooking goes,[p]you have much better control over heating and cooling with Carbon steel![p]It responds much quicker to heat, and the absense of it![p]Hands down..the better choice!![p]Evans[p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Letts-Do-It,[p]Carbon steel. Cheap, light, easy to control temp, etc. I'm still using the same one I bought in a chinese food store in 1973 and that went to college with my two kids (my wife, who is chinese, thought I should get a fancy new one so she gave my old one to the kids. I have never forgiven her.)