Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and shoulder update/questions

Options
Vogs
Vogs Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for all the advice earlier in the week. I am currently cooking a 5 LB brisket and two 3.5 Lb shoulders. I put them on this morning at 6:00AM. The dome temperature has been between 200 and 230 deg. The brisket now has an internal temp of 176. It has just recently started to rise. The shoulders are at about 167 deg. [p]I was planning on being done around 5:00 - 6:00.[p]My question is: Should I lower my dome temperature to try and keep the briket temp from rising? Or should I continue on and pull it off when it gets to about 195 and wrap in foil & towels and put in a cooler?[p]If I put in the cooler will the meet continue to cook a little?
How long will it keep in the cooler?[p]Thanks for any advice you can give me.[p]Vogs

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Vogs,
    When I do the cooler thing with a brisket, I like to pull it at 185-190 as it will finish cooking i the cooler. I have kept them as long as 4 hours in the cooler with excellent results. The smell when you open the foil to slice is incredible!![p]I wouldn't lower my dome temp any. You are cooking low enough...plus you need to keep moving those butts along.[p]Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy, Not sure if you've ever done this Chris, but if the brisket seems a little dry when you go to wrap-and-hold mode, don't be afraid to add 1/4-1/2 cup of good quality beef stock/broth (low sodium preferred). Just heat it in the microwave first, then pour over the brisket when wrapping. Just ensures moisture in the beef when you go to unwrap and slice. Makes for a nice 'au jus' as well when holding brisket during serving process, IMO.
    Qfan

• Vogs
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks, I am going to keep the temp at about 200 and see what happens. At what temp do you usually pull your shoulders off at?[p]Also, I am doing a two tier arrangement with the shoulders on a rack above the brisket. Therefore the shoulders are probably seeing less heat than the brisket. Think I might want to switch the two?[p]Vogs
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Vogs,
    Maybe NB will weigh in as well, but I would say leave as is until your brisket is at pullable temp (start checkin at 185 as NB advises). If you elevate over the butts you are taking them further from heat and you say internal temp is rising already. That means the brisket has rendered collagens, connective tissues and is in process of bringing actual meat up to temp. To delay that process by taking further from heat is just dryin things out. Get up to pullable temp, 185-195, wrap and then elevate temp to 250 or so to finish the pork, which should pull well anywhere over 190 and up to 200 internal. Sounds like timing for dinner should be about perfect!
    Qfan

• Nature Boy
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Thanks, Mike. Sounds like a winner. I'll try this on my next wrap-and-holder. Nothing like having another weapon in the arsenal.
    Feels like beer thirty. Time for a cold un. Terps are 5-0 after just offing Virginia. Score is 41-21 with 2 minutes left. Gonna be a good year for them turtles.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Nothing to add, sir. Nicely put.
    Have a great weekend!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Vogs
    Options
    Thanks for everyones help!![p]Vogs

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    How do you Egg a turtle? What dome temp do you use. Brine? Rub? Anything like snake? In the shell or out?
    Any use for the shells after? Taste like squid or chicken?
    Heeeeeeya!
    Carey

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Sundown,
    I shudda cooked up that snake to compare! The shells can be used to hold your basting/finishing sauce![p]Hope all is well in the land where Barbie is Bobby.....and Bobby is Bawby!
    beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com