Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket (Flat)

Options
Mikey
Mikey Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry to post this basic question again, but I am cooking a 5.25lb brisket flat today and wanted to get some generall cooking guidelines. I have read through the archives, but most posts are about whole briskets and I thought the instructions might be different.[p]It has a nice fat cap on it and is pretty much the same thickness throughout with the one end being only .25-.5 inches thicker than the other. I am assuming a 250-275 cooking temp, indirect, with hickory for smoke. I am also assuming to pull it at an internal temp of about 200. Are my assumptions correct and about how long would you guess this bad boy is gonna take?[p]Any advice is appreciated,
Mikey
P.S. What rub/marinade would you use?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mikey,
    Your cooking ideas are pretty solid, but I would use 250 dome. Some cook lower (closer to 200). I have cooked them from 200 to 275, and have settled on 250. 275 will even give you suprisingly good results, but at that temp it comes out a bit drier, and not quite as tender.[p]At 250, you are looking at a minimum of 10 hours. Allow 12 or more. If it is done early, wrap in foil, and pack with towels in a warm cooler. This will hold it for several hours steaming hot. Some like to wrap in foil and let rest for an hour even if not done early. A 20 minute rest on a cutting board will do.[p]I usually do a fork test at 185 internal. Sometimes it is ready before it gets to 200.[p]Hope that helps a tad, and that you are not planning on eating this for dinner tonight!
    Enjoy. Go Terps.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I am thinking of serving it up for lunch tomorrow, so I should be good to go. I thought it might go as long as 12 hours, so I knew I should have plenty of time. I have been extreemly pleased with the pulled pork I've done so far and I am really looking forward to how this beef is going to turn out. I will try and keep a good eye on it after it hits 185. Drying it out is really my biggest fear. The Boston Butts I've cooked are far more forgiving than this brisket will be I think.[p]Thanks for the help,
    Mikey