Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help!!! Butts on, can't get dome temp above 200

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help please. Have 3 butts, 9 lb. average size, on my Large. They have been on for almost 90 minutes and I can't get dome temp above 200. Bottom vent wide open, Daisy opened max. Have a nice breeze and I have plenty of smoke and fire appears to be cranking. I tested dome themometer with boling water and it is spot on. What do I do? Was planning an 18 hour cook with 250 dome temp but can't get there? Am I just being too impatient??? Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Eggmeister-disabled
    Options
    New to Que,[p]You need The Naked Whiz, Car Wash Mike, Spring Chicken, or the Lawn Ranger to come to your rescue . . . I'm a newbie too, but have found these folks to be the best eggers to offer help.
  • Eggmeister,[p]I've used guidance from TNW and Elder Ward for a successful overnight cook and I've actually had a successful cook my first try a month ago. This time is proving more difficult for some reason. Have not changed a thing in my technique. Very frustrating.[p]New to Que
  • Eggmeister,[p]I've used guidance from TNW and Elder Ward for a successful overnight cook and I've actually had a successful cook my first try a month ago. This time is proving more difficult for some reason. Have not changed a thing in my technique. Very frustrating.[p]New to Que
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    New to Que,[p]Relax.[p]Get a metal coathanger, cut off the hook and bend a 3" L in the remaining section. Open your lower vent (oh yeah, it is open) stick the L up into the little holes in the firebox grate and wiggle. Repeat in most of the holes. This will dis-lodge ash and stimulate air flow. You will be back on track in 15 minutes.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • New to Que,[p]Are you using reused "stuff?"
    If your stuff damp?
    Are the little holes in the firebox plugged?
    Is the opening in the firebox lined up with the external vent?[p]You're not going to hurt anything if you take the meat off for a few minutes, pull the grate and check it out.[p]~ Broc[p]

• thirdeye,[p]You are an Egging genius! Thanks. Did the coat hanger technique and the temps are climbing! Now I can relax and get back to sipping my ice cold Bud keg beer. You are THE MAN![p]New to Que
  • Eggmeister-disabled
    Options
    New to Que,
    Did I mention Thirdeye as a good resource?

• Eggmeister,[p]Yes you did indeed...thanks for the response and the advice. This forum is awesome. I am a NY'er who lives on Long Island and I know very little about BBQ but I love it and I am committed to learning all I can. [p]New to Que
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    7797cc51.jpg
    <p />New to Que,[p]Once upon a time a guy named Char-Woody, who actually talked me into buying my first Egg, came up with this idea and called it a "wiggle rod". He gets all of the credit.[p]Send me your e-mail, I scrounge stainless rod at work and make them from time to time. I have an extra one I'll send you.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eggmeister-disabled
    Options
    New to Que,
    I am from Mississippi but am still learning about BBQ. I got my egg in June and this forum has proven invaluable. I am doing my first brisket tomorrow . . .I may be sending out an S.O.S. of my own tomorrow!!

• Eggmeister,[p]Good luck with the brisket. It is on my list of "Things to Que". Enjoy.[p]New to Que
  • New to Que,[p]Is the dome thermometer touching the pork?[p]Just a though.....
  • Bozzy,[p]Good thought. I had the same concern and confirmed it was not making contact. thirdeye solved my problem. Despite being extra careful to put only large pieces of lump at the bottom of the pile to avoid clogging the fire plate, apparently there was a clog and I used a coat hanger to clear the holes and get better air flow. I am now stabilized at 250 and feeling much better. I may even attempt to take a nap and check back in 2 hours. Thanks.[p]New to Que
  • Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,[p]Thanks for the response. Your 3rd question proved to be the key one. Used fresh and dry lump and had a clean firebox which was properly aligned. Taking advice from thirdeye, I cleared a few of the vent holes and that did the trick. I am back in business. Thanks.[p]New to Que
  • New to Que,[p]I'd never want to get into a shoutin' match with ThirdEye -- I don't think he had responded by the time I was typing my post...[p]Zheesh![p]Wish he'd send me one-na them poker gadgets![p]~ :)[p]Broc