Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

standing rib roast

Options
Brett
Brett Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to be cooking an 8 lb prime rib on sunday. Looking for any helpful hints. You guys helped me with my first butt, thank you, thank you, thank you, it was fantastic. I'll soon post pictures. Thanks ahead of time. Brett in frigid Phoenix

Comments

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    Brett,[p]I searched the archives extensively before cooking my first prime rib earlier this year. It turned out great. Here's what I did:[p]Rub the standing rib roast with minced garlic, kosher salt, black pepper, rosemary & thyme. If you like heavier seasoning, rub some olive or canola oil on the roast so more spices will stick (I didn't but suit your own taste). Let roast stand at room temp for at least an hour to warm up, so it cooks more evenly, but not so long that you have to worry about bad meat. Bring the BGE up to 300 degrees dome temp, using an indirect setup over a drip pan. Hickory chunks work well for smoke.[p]Cook the standing rib roast for about 2.5 - 3 hours until it reaches 125 degrees internal temperature. Pull it off the egg, wrap in aluminum foil and towels, and rest in a cooler for about an hour.[p]Carve the prime rib and serve with horseradish and/or horseradish sauce on the side. Most slices should be medium-rare and delicious, with some medium slices on the ends for those who don't understand prime rib. If you want rare, pull it off at 120 degrees.[p]-Kevin
  • tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    Options
    Brett,
    I cooked a 6.5 one a couple of weeks ago. Covered with olive oil, Dr. BBQ's rub and set the Egg at 350. Also used some hickory and apple chunks. Cooked for 2.25 hours. It was great.