Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Boston Butt

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just put her on the grill, 3:30. Temp is holding at 195. I'm using Elder Ward's directions and I'm nervous as hell. Have it above a place setter with a drip pan full of water. I'm crossing my fingers!! I will let you know how it turns out...[p]P.S. How am I supposed to sleep tonight???

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    I suspect Mr. Ward would recommend consuming a large amount of some fine sour mash product as an excellent somnifacient. Myself, I tend to wilt after 9:30 no matter what I do.
  • Wardster,[p]I know how you feel. I'm doing my second butt tonight. I, too, am using Elder Wards instructions. Following them word for word. Doing the cole slaw, hush puppies, etc. [p]My first butt was done using word of mouth and a few posts from the forum. No recipe or any other "formal" instructions. It turned out great! I have a feeling that with the wise words from Elder Ward and the forgiveness of the Egg, we have nothing to worry about. I'll still be up wringing my hands half the night anyway![p]Good luck and maybe we can compare results later.[p]Kevin

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Wardster,
    Relax, take a couple of deep breaths and think positive. Check the temps every couple of hours until bedtime, and once your confident that it's going to hold through the night get some sleep. Set your alarm for sunrise and check out the Egg. For some reason this time of the morning wreaks a little havoc on my temps but it's easily adjusted and you can go back to bed after about an hour of monitoring if you need a little more rest. If your plateau lasts a little longer than expected and you're running tight on time, you can raise the dome temp to 225 or so after you pass the 170 internal mark to speed things up a little.
    Good Luck and Good Q

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    hounddog,[p]You win for the Big Green Word of the Day.[p]from dictionary.com:
    som·ni·fa·cient
    adj.
    Tending to produce sleep; hypnotic.[p]About to go home and consume several fine sour mash products,
    Cornfed

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Wardster,
    All part of the BGE growth process. You'll be fine. I usually check Mr. Egg around 11pm or a little later then I set my alarm for about 5:30 (my usual get up time) and do a check. Only once have I had to stir the coals to get things going again.
    Otherwise, kick back and relax everting will be FINEr than frog hair![p]Carey