Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

honest question..."gluing" hamburger patties together

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 5 pounds of preformed hamburger patties from a local packing house. The patties are very good but are too small for one sandwich since they are thin, but two of them makes a great sandwich. When I egg them I've tried to smash them together with cheese inbetween, but the cheese melts and the burgers slip and slide and fall off in the process of flipping. Is there some easy way to sort of "glue" them together like and eggwash or something?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    RRP,
    Not to state the obvious, BUT...[p]Have you tried just mashing them together and forming a new patty?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    RRP,
    what about all the rutland adhesive you have?[p]ok ok.
    if you stuff them with cheese between, you have to pinch the edges together....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Bobby-Q,
    I see I wasn't clear with my intentions - sorry about that - what I want to do is make the burgers as pockets with cheese and grilled onions inside for instance. And yes I've tried pinching the edges but that doesn't seal the two patties together at all. I just thought there was some culinary trick out there.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,
    For pie crust we use a fork to "pinch" the edges and seal shut...This is done by pressing the tines into the edge of the dough causing a crimp.[p]I wonder if that might work?[p]Jay

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    RRP,
    disclaimer: I've never tried this, so it may turn out to be of no help, but...[p]try sprinkling powdered gelatin around the edge before you stick them together; let them set for an hour or so.[p](I've stuck pork together this way when making capacola.)[p]Ken

• dan
    dan Posts: 57
    RRP,
    Had good luck using "Robinson's Tastee Rings" Burger Press about 5 bucks Goggle it for an online purchase..they are well made...

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    RRP,
    I pinched the edges together and kinda folded the meat a bit if that makes sense.[p]Had about 50/50 luck with them splitting during the cook. I did this with ground beef that I pattied...well pancaked really.....myself.[p]H

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    RRP,
    i remember the Origional post on the stuffed hamburgers before everyone started stuffing hamburgers on this board. they added a little bread crumbs and egg to the hamburger which made it stick better. really stuffed meatloaf burgers, but i bet that works better making your own. why do you buy the prepacked overly pressed burgers, you can make your own ahead of time and freeze the lot, even have them prestuffed with some freezable ingrediants like cheese and onions.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP,[p]Try getting some fresh hamburger, mix in some egg and use that as a binder around the edges between your patties. Or make a top patty of fresh hamburger and stick that to your thawed frozen patty. Or try wetting the edge of your current patties to see if that will make them sticky enough to bind together.[p]Good luck.[p]Smoke Diver
    Smoke Diver
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    I think some bread crumbs mixed in the beef would help. I saw Rachel Ray do this.[p]Doing a search on google, I see that some use cracker crumbs as well.[p]Maybe using some soaked toothpicks?[p]-J
  • Smoke Diver,
    This has merit! Maybe you could form a little burger rope from the fresh stuff. Put it around the edge of your bottom burger. Fill with whatever and slap another burger on top. If the whole thing had a chance to thaw out, you could stab the edges with a fork to get a decent seal.
    Paul

• RRP,
    That's easy! Just grill them separate, then stack them on your bun.
    MM

• Essex County,[p]That is what I meant to say! [p]By the way are you in the NJ area?[p]Smoke Diver
    Smoke Diver
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    stike,[p]That's right. I don't know where all these other complicated suggestions are coming from! You just pinch the edges together real hard and form it into one hamburger instead of two. No need for any washes or adding anything to the meat.[p]Gwen
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    RRP,
    Then you aren't pinching hard enough! I do this all the time.[p]Unless you're using grocery store bought meat and you have frozen it first. Then it all falls apart. And tastes like cardboard. I hope that isn't what you're working with![p]Gwen

• Smoke Diver,
    nope...massa.[p]i really liked the image of little meat boxes with a surprise inside.
    paul