Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Sweet" BBQ

sdbelt
sdbelt Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The split personality in me likes things either spicy hot or tangy sweet. And from day to day, I can never tell you which it is. As a group, I've noticed this forum's participants tend toward the spicy side of things, but surely there must be some of you that like a tangy sweet BBQ at times, and I'm curious to know how you like to "rub" up a butt or ribs, for these times.[p]This last weekend I was in one of my "sweet" moods and made a great butt. I "rubbed" it in brown sugar (well coated), just before placing it on the grill. At the 1 hour and 2 hour points, I poured about 3/4 cup of white grape juice over the butt and into the drip, where it boiled away and left a most impressive piece of charred gunk in my drip pan.[p]At any rate, this butt was really good. The exposed non-fat edges had a great flavor that was smoked and just a bit sweet. Not excessive, but just enough to add some interest. I didn't have a problem with burning of the exterior (I had feered all of the sugar would create a charred exterior), although it was a dark brown, after the 18 hour cook (cooked basically direct, with only the drip pan between it and the fire). One thing it was not, however, was tangy. And here in lies my question, for those of you like me that on occassion like that sweet, tangy flavor, do you have a method that's achieving these results on a butt or ribs? I think I can get there with a mop of tangy sauce, near the middle/end, but I'm interested in other more penetrating options.[p]Thanks in advance,[p]--sdb

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    sdbelt,[p]One of our favorite sweet/tangy sauces was offered in a post by a forum member who used the handle "James" in 1999. I am typing in the post and welcome questions, apologizing for my thick fingers.[p]Begining of post-[p]James' Barbecue Sauce[p]Posted by James on September 06, 1999[p]Well, I've tried the recipe submission twice, and it hasn't worked for me either time. Here is my Q' sauce recipe. I like it. I hope you do too.[p]3 Cups water
    3/4 Cup light corn syrup
    6 oz. Tomato paste
    1/2 Cup Apple cider vinegar
    1/4 Cup Molasses
    1/4 Cup Brown sugar
    1/4 Cup Honey
    3/4 Teaspoon Kosher salt
    1 Teaspoon Black pepper
    1 Tablespoon Paprika (hot if you dare)
    1 Teaspoon Garlic powder
    1 Teaspoon Jalapeno powder
    1 Teaspoon Sage[p]Combine everything into a pan. Mix well. Simmer for at least an hour. Wisk often.[p]if you are a real wimp, you might want to cut the jalapeno powder to 1/4 tsp.[p]End of post-[p]I use fresh jalapeno instead of the powder and find that 1-2 (seeded and deveined) add a nice flavored bite (Chili heads we are not :-{). We tend to use a sauce as a side for dipping rather than cook it on the meal. Cooked on the meal, the heat will intensify.[p]Thanks again James.[p]Spin

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    sdbelt,
    Add some herbs and spices to your brown sugar rub. I usaully start with about a cup of dark brown in a large bowl and start adding whatever I can lay hands on from the spice cabinet, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, cracked pepper, Old Bay, Season-All, Lawry's BBQ spice, Hungarian paprika, ground cinnamon, clove, allspice, nutmeg and ginger, cumin, chili powder, sage, basil, thyme, whatever. Just load it up and go with whatever flavors appeal to you.

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Spin,
    has anyone either brined or marinated a butt before smoking?

• sdbelt
    All-[p]Thanks for the feedback. I'm wondering if anyone has tried a pineapple juice or some other citrus juice-based marinade on a butt or ribs? The radio has been hyping Lowery's (sp?)marinades that only need a short time to work, and all of them have some type of citrus juice in them, which I believe is why they are believed to work in a short time.[p]In my case, the time isn't the factor, as much as wanting the sweet flavor. Anyway, if no one has tried a pineapple juice marinade, I think I'll probably try one soon.[p]The BBQ sauce that Spin posted looks worth a spin. My family really liked JJ's sauce, even though I didn't simmer it long enough.[p]--sdb
  • sdbelt
    MAC,[p]Brining a butt was discussed a month or two ago. There were differing opinions posted. Some said it wasn't necessary, while others had tried it and liked it. I do, however, love to brine turkey. Even though it takes 2 days to make one this way.[p]Marinating in a citrus juice to give the "tangy" flavor is what I've been contemplating for my next butt. Still eating the last one, so I probably won't do that until 10/13.[p]--sdb
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    sdbelt,[p]I haven't used an acidic marinade for pork, but our favorite marinade for beef ribs is pineapple juice (4-6 hours if concentrate, overnight if freah). A very slight pineapple taste is noticable in the finished meal, but we like it with the strong taste of the rib. Drying the marinated meat prior to cooking will minimize the flavor in the meat (I do not dry). We tend to enjoy the meal with no sauce (maybe a dipping sauce).[p]Spin[p]
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    sdbelt,
    Sounds like you'll do good.On my spareribs,I normally use the mustard-JJ coating,a couple of times when I put them in foil,I added some pineapple juice and some chunks of pineapple in each foil pack.They were very good.Usually I spray apple juice on the before wrapping.Think anyway you can cook ribs on BGE will be good.Bob