Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

meat pies (lamb sfeeha)

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,759
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
100_1544.jpg
<p />was eating meatpies at the lebanese bakery the other day and figured the egg could make these alot better and it did. these are really good. altered the recipe by salting down the onions a bit and sqeezing out some liquid, added some garam masala, nutmeg, and some fresh lemon juice. used a store bought pizza dough (made by another lebanese bakery) rolled thin. baked a few min at 400 til the meat was sizzling and opened the vents wide open til the browning was to my liking.[p]100_1546.jpg[p]100_1548.jpg[p]100_1550.jpg[p]sfeeha (lebanese meat pies),tebouleh salad, humus tahini, and some lebne spread. the linked recipe made 21 small pies. these pies would work with any filling, pizza, rueben, pork tourtere, meatloaf etc.
[ul][li]sfeeha[/ul]
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    fishlessman,
    DAAAaaayyyyuuumm ... your pics always look amazing.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Great looking food. A good companion is mango chutney. hehe

• fishlessman
    Options
    Richard,
    how dumb am i, im going to reheat a couple pies at lunch and hit them with that chutney, thats some good stuff

fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Looks like you have your soapstone gridle upside down on fire bricks. Upside down just to fit under the dome? [p]You might like to look up a merguez Moroccan sausage recipe. It calls for lamb, and depending on the spice mix, can be fairly hot. I'd bet it would be a good filling, and pair well with the meal you made.[p]I used my new soapstone gridle last night to make some bacon and eggs. Its great the way it heats up, and the food doesn't stick. It took awhile to get the dome to 450, and I'm supposing the stone was about that too. Bacon took maybe 3 minutes, sizzling from the first second, and the eggs took maybe 1. Bacon was nicely crisped and the eggs brown edged and bubbly.[p]gdenby
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Those look great...I just printed this out and will try it soon.
    Larry

• fishlessman
    Options
    gdenby,
    i use the top side of the griddle for greasy stuff and the bottom side for baking and pizzas as it stays cleaner. one side is oily, the other side stays clean and dry. ill look up that recipe, im making some greek sausage with lamb for lukanika soon as i found a bottle of greek retsina. maybe make half of the leg into the stuff you mentioned.

fukahwee maine

• Essex County
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Those look great. I'm setting up a middle eastern dish for tonight, veal breast. Rubbed it with a mix of salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, and cinnamon and will stuff with rice, raisins and I'm not sure what else yet.
    Paul

• fishlessman
    Options
    Essex County,
    dont know if you have ever found this place yet, good pita breads, yogurts, labne, spinach pies, hookahs etc. i just did a quote for them for a 10000 pound sesame seed bin, they make alot of stuff for the resteraunts around here. only problem is trying to figure out what your buying, not much english on the labels and many foods once you know what it is, are spelled horrendously different from one label to the next. the market area looks a little grundgy, but in back where its not open to the public in the baking areas its top notch clean.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    YB,
    i cut the directions in half, and even less onion than what it says, for the 21 smal pies, circles were about 4.5 inches. wixed the spice with the yogurt and added until it tasted strong, then added the meat

fukahwee maine

• Essex County
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Not sure what place you are refering to. Is it in Methuen?
    My wife's birthday is coming up and nothing says "I love you" like a nice hookah.
    Paul

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thank you that info will help.
    Larry

• fishlessman
    Options
    Essex County,
    must have been in a rush to get out of here for lunch, georges bakery

[ul][li]georges bakery[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Essex County,
    i once had a hooka for my birthday too.[p]nice gift.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante