Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Brats

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having a party Friday night and we are cooking up a bunch of brats, is it better to boil them on the egg in some beer first. I usually just put them on and grill them. I know for sure you need a beer to grill them, but not sure if I should waste a good beer on the brats. If anyone has a good recipe that you would like to share send it my way.[p]
Happy Egging

Comments

• TomCPA
    TomCPA Posts: 82
    Options
    JerryS,[p]I would parboil them in beer. I started doing this a couple of years ago and found it really helped not only the flavor but they retained a lot of moisture. As a result and were nice and juicy when I bit into the brats.[p]I am making brats tomorrow night as well. My method is a little different. I get the cast iron skillet out, put the beer in and after the beer starts boiling, I put the brats in. I let them go for 15-20 minutes or when they are no longer pink on the outside, then I throw them on the BGE. Mrs. TomCPA enjoys them this way. The little one thinks they are hot dogs. This way she legally can have a beer.[p]First time I did this I made the mistake of parboiling them and having a beer everytime I turned the brats. My wife wouldn't let me play with the fire that day for some reason. I wish I could remember why.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    JerryS,
    I simmer, not boil, in beer and onions for 20-30 minutes. If you boil, you might split them, just have the beer slightly moving. At this point they are cooked, all you have to do is grill them to put some color on them, make them purty. -RP

• TomCPA,[p]
    Hmmmmmmm a beer every time I turn them, just how many times would one have turn them in 20 or 30 minutes?[p]
    Have a Great Weekend.

• JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Options
    JerryS,[p]Simmer in a good brew...ESB, IPA, for about 5 minutes then show them to the grill for a minute or so per side. Serve 'em up on a grilled bun with sauerkraut and a good spicy mustard. Wash it all down with a few more good brews. Life is Good![p]JD[p]ps...this is not a waste of good brew!!!
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    JerryS,
    I did them this afternoon. The Titans played the Packers tonight and in keeping with my theory of either "eat or respect" your opponents, for GB it was brats. Easy; simmer in beer 25-30 then Egg for a few mins. for grill marks.

• JerryS,[p]Here ya go - all ya need to know.[p]http://www.bratwurstpages.com/brats.html
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BGEPolish002.jpg
    <p />JerryS,
    The beer is going to good use, let me tell ya.[p]Egg at 350 dome.
    Saute' some onion in butter using heavy skillet then add brats. Pour in room temp beer and simmer 20-30 minutes or until fully cooked.

BGEPolish005.jpg

Remove skillet saving remaining liquid and grill brats direct for browning. When browned with some nice grill marks return brats to beer liquid to keep plump, moist and ready for the bun.

BGEPolish006.jpg

BGEPolish007.jpg

Have fun!
    Clay

• TomCPA
    Options
    JerryS,[p]Let me clarify what I meant by "boil." I really meant simmer. Sorry about that. When I wrote it, I was a bit tired from running. Basically, I do what everyone said.[p]Tom
  • TomCPA
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]What kind of grate is that you are using on the BGE?[p]Tom
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    TomCPA,[p]It looks like one of tjv's stainless grids.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX