Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Mullet

Options
Bobby Que
Bobby Que Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
View?u=1317113&a=9783604&p=54846689&Sequence=0&res=high
<p />The Gulf Mullet is a fairly common fish in the Tampabay area. Along the Gulf Coast, it is smoked slowly and if served freshly caught and cooked is a delicate, light textured fish that has to be tasted to be appreciated. It is an oily fish, which is a virtue in our health conscious world. It is used as bait to catch Tarpon. Snook and other larger fish devour fingerling mullet in the bay. They are hard to catch on a hook, and mostly netted commercially. [p]There used to be a lot of local restaurants that served smoked mullet in my area, but because of gill-net restrictions, and popularity of the mullet and it's roe by our Asian friends, the local restaurants have become hard to find. It is even hard to find mullet at most fishmongers. The mullet I got cost $1.89/pound. [p]I have been trying to smoke the little devils in first my gas-fed water smoker, then my electric smoker, and recently my BGE. Until the efforts in the BGE, none came close to what I remember fondly as good Tampabay smoked mullet. The surface should be browned with a slightly crispy texture, the meat underneath should be juicy and mild with a hint of smoky taste (but not overpowering), and the aroma of the fish should make you want to eat more![p]Here is a picture of a nice sized mullet that was smoked for 2 hours in my Egg with a handful of pecan chips, and a small hunk of cherry wood (I thought this might give the mullet a darker surface color). I put some oil on the fish before I cooked it an sprinkled some rib-rub on it. [p]I just finished eating this fish, and it was delicious!!!! [p]I'm posting a picture of this peasant type smoked fish for your enjoyment. I do not recall seeing a smoked mullet posting on the forum in the year or so I have been hanging around here.[p]

Comments