Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron pizza pan?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just cruisin through the Lodge cast iron website, and I noticed that they have a cast iron pizza pan. Has anyone used this on the egg? How would it differ from using a bread stone? I was thinking about trying pizza soon, and I'd like some feedback on this CI pizza thingie before I make any purchases.[p]Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Kevin Klostermann,[p]I haven't used the CI pizza pans, but can see some real problems with it.[p]A pizza (bread) stone is heated to cooking temp and then the raw pie is set on it using a pizza peel (large wooden spatula). When cooked, the pie is removed with the peel to a wire rack to cool to eating temperature.[p]The CI pan would need to be heated to cooking temp prior to adding the pie to it. Cooking with the pie in a cool pan will allow the dough will rise too much and the toppings to possibly overcook while the CI pan is coming to temp to cook the dough. If the CI pan is removed with the pie in it, the dough will rapidly overcook from the heat of the pan. The pie will need to be removed immediately to avoid this. It is not wise to jostle a hot pizza with liquid lava toppings. Even if the cook were planned to utilize a not so hot CI pan, the pizza would still need to be removed ASAP as the moisture rendered from the dough is trapped in the pan and will quickly be absorbed back into the crust, making it soggy.[p]Basically the CI could be used in place of the pizza stone, but will still have lots of problems as the pizza stone also acts as an insulator from the fire, where the CI pan will continue to heat much faster.[p]CI is not the best choice for some jobs.[p]Spin
  • Spin,[p]Thanks, That's just the kind of info I was looking for. I'll get a regular pizza stone and use the tried and true methods I've seen posted here.[p]You Da Man![p]Thanks,
    Kevin

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Kevin Klostermann,[p]Below is a link to a homemade pizza website that has some good, helpful information, and links. The pies are done in an oven and the recipe cooking methods need to be adjusted for the much better cooking environment your Egg can produce.[p]Spin
    [ul][li]Homemade Pizza[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    deep7.jpg
    <p />Kevin Klostermann,[p]I have used a Lodge 13" cast iron skillet. The results were ok but nothing special. I was tring to get a deep disk crust, which is almost deep fried. I added some oil to the pan but maybe not enough. Maybe Ashley will jump in with some of his pizza tips.[p]I was given the skillet by Lodge and I had to cut off the handle to get it in the Egg. A pizza pan would solve that problem. Good luck.[p]My website has the details of what I tried -- look under PIZZA[p]
    Tim

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Kevin Klostermann,
    I get the results for the style I like from a stone, but many people are fans of deep-dish or pan pizza, sometimes called Chicago style also. To do this in the cast iron would definately yield excellent results, but the cooking method would be very different from the stone. I've done cornbread and potato rolls in my cast iron dutch oven, and I've seen a few recipes for dutch oven pizza also. You would have to bake at a lower temp, under 400, and even with a well seasoned pan, I'd recommend greasing so the dough doesn't stick. Heres a recipe page that I found through Spin's link, but I didn't see any mention of using cast iron there.

[ul][li]Deep Dish Pizza Dough[/ul]
  • Thanks for all the comments. I now have plenty of info, and after I sift through it all, I'll attempt a pizza.[p]Thanks again,
    Kevin