Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Racks

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looks like I'm starting to post here way too often..... :-)[p]I have my snazzy new egg, and played around with it a bit last night (no cooking) trying to figure out how to maintain temperature. Wow was that easy. These things just STAY where you want them forever - play with the daisywheel/vent a bit, and tada! I am quite impressed.[p]Anyway, I am planning to try JJ's ribs this weekend, and I have been hunting high and low for some of the "V" shaped rib racks. I am only cooking for two, and the only racks I have found hold 4-6 of these puppies. I would like to find a couple of the V-shaped ones, so I can cook 2 or 4 racks, and have room for other assorted goodies on the egg without part of the rack I am not using taking up precious space. I will eventually get another grid so I can cook on two levels, but for now I just have the one.[p]Anybody know where I can get these on the web, or have a better recommendation?[p]Thanks in advance![p]- Mike

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Home Depot has a stainless steel rack the same size as
    the BGE rack. You could buy it and cut it in half. I did
    that with a Brinkman rack to bake potatoes on my mini and
    it worked well.
    Chuck

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    The oval rib racks at Home Depot next to the Weber V-racks are considerably more compact and still hold 6 or 7 racks but there's no reason you can't just cook the ribs flat or lean the ribs up against each other on the main grid so that they stand up to make more room. Just keep the temp low and watch out for hot spots.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Charcoal Mike, You can also put the ribs on their side and tie them in a circle with butcher's twine. JCA

• J Appledog,[p]I was *just* about to recommend a similar treatment.
    I've had excellent results bending a rack-o-ribs into a cricle, and plopping a skewer into the two everlapped ribs at the ends.[p]This method ahs been working great for me. If you do a direct finish (you should!), just cut the rack in half and it will lay flat enough.[p]This is also a great way to do 4 or 5 racks indirect without any rib rack at all.[p]