Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back ribs for a newbie

Options
TomRC
TomRC Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be getting my LGE this Friday. I've read through the posts and have some ideas, but I need to wow the wife with some baby back ribs this weekend. What is the best rub, method, wood chips, sauce, etc. Seems like JJ rub looks pretty good with an indirect method of cooking. I'd like the forum's input on this. By the way, my dad brought a Japanese pot just like the BGE back to the states in the early 60's. The steaks we had out of that thing were great. Unfortunately, after many moves (military family) the clay pot broke and was never replaced, but the steaks we had are one of many great childhood memories. Thanks in advance for the suggestions. Tom.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    TomRC,
    I use JJ`s rub on just about all my ribs..I lean towards apple or pecan chunks for smoke..I personally use either Jim W`s method or the 3-1-1.5 method, both are great, I sauce my ribs..I also mormally put apple juice in my drip pan..you will get many varied responses..as there is no one right or wrong way, it`s all personal preference..like one of my favorite sayings.."Thats why they make chocolate and vanilla"..hope this helps..and Congrats on the new egg..[p]Wess

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    TomRC,[p]I totally agree with WessB, I am doing ribs tonight myself - I use the 3-1-1.5 method but the indirect method is also good. The many methods used show that everyone like them done differently - try many ways and see what you like.[p]A suggestion, try something easier for your first or second cook because you are going to be in trouble holding temps for 4-5 hrs. It comes to you in 2-4 cooks but the first should be something quick and easy. Burgers, steak, pork tenderloins, something at grilling temps (350+ deg).[p]The link below may help.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's BGE site[/ul]
  • Charcoal Mike
    Options
    WessB,[p]Where can I find a recipe for JJ's rub? I've seen it mentioned several times, but can't find a link in the archives that details what it is or how to get it.[p]Thanks![p]Mike

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Here ya go.

[ul][li]JJ's Rub[/ul]
  • Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]Thank you![p]This may be my first attempt this weekend.[p]Regards -[p]Mike[p][p]
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    TomRC,
    I agree with Tim M, try some shorter cooks to get started with. It's hard to beat a egg cooked steak like NY cut or Porterhouse. Do em by the 3,3, dwell till done method. Sear em 3 minutes a side at 700-750* and then close the top and bottom vents and let it dwell till done to likeness. For 1 1/4 steaks it's about a 2-3 minute dwell for med. rare. Check the internal meat temp with an instant read thermometer.
    As for Baby Backs, Ive tried many methods in both direct and indirect modes. My families unequivocal favorite is the 3,1,1 1/2 method (see link below). I use the plate sitter with the legs up and a foil lined drip pan on top instead of fire bricks. Also use Hickory for smoke and Jim Beams sauce the last 1/2 hour of direct. Depending on the degree of doneness when I remove them from the foil, I may cut the last leg of the cook from 1 1/2 hrs. to 1 hr. or less. However, I allways do the last 1/2 hour direct will I mop em.
    BD

[ul][li]3,1,1.5 Ribs[/ul]
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    TomRC,
    In my next post the link doen't go to the recipe page as I thought it did.
    To get to the 3,1,1.5 recipe scroll down on the right hand (black) page to the bottom and click on recipe index, then scroll down to ribs and you'll find it.
    Happy Qing,
    B D

• TomRC
    TomRC Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.