Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gotta cooks some butts a little faster than normal . .

Options
MCG DAWG
MCG DAWG Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
. . normally I do my pork butts/shoulders at 225 and let 'em go for as long as it takes. Due to a work schedule that's a little insane and a need to feed about 100 people at noon on Friday I'm not going to be able to put this load of pork on two large eggs until 6pm or so tomorrow night. [p]I'm going to do at least the first couple of hours with heavy smoke and a low temp then kick it up a good bit to hopefully complete the cook around 8 or so Friday morning. Sooo, looking at a 14 hour cook time for 7lb average butts, what temp should I set my Guru? Getting done a little early is fine, getting done late is a disaster![p]

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    MCG DAWG,[p]Why not do the first few hours with regular smoke, just like you have always done? Then ramp up the pit temp to 275° and finish them at that temp. I'm betting you won't be able to tell the difference. In fact, if you really need to hurry the cook, foil them at 175° or so and return to the pit (or the oven) until they are done. You don't want to cut yourself short on resting time when you take a short cut on the cooking. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • MCG DAWG,[p]For what it's worth...[p]I haven't been able to comfortably maintain a dome temp as low as 225 so I typically use 275 and put my butts on Friday evening and they're typically ready to pull by morning (although I usually leave them on until shortly before noon when I want to pull and eat). All that to say a dome temp of 275 should work out well for you.[p]Good luck!
  • Wyldwood
    Wyldwood Posts: 84
    Options
    MCG DAWG,
    I also have to cater pulled pork sandwiches for 100 people. How much raw pork do you think you'll need? What are you expecting for a finished yield? I am serving three sides with it.

• MCG DAWG
    MCG DAWG Posts: 59
    Options
    Wyldwood,[p]I usually yield about 55% of pre cook weight with butts but that's not a very scientific method I utilized to determine that. [p]There will be a 100 folks there, I'd bet only 70 of them eat. [p]Serving with 30lbs of BBQ baked beans and 30lbs of potato salad. [p]I'm not a caterer, just a guy with an egg and a dream! It's a small community event behing held beside my office and I'm simply donating lunch. If I don't have enough . . well too bad for those in the back of the line!

• NitroSmoke
    Options
    MCG DAWG,
    I have been doing mine at 300 - 350 for about 6 months now and they seem better than lo-n-slo. I actually did a lo-n-slo and fast cook together one day and had a taste test. Everyone ID'd the fast cook and said it was juicier. I inject with maple syrup, JD, apple juice, and rub the night before. Get them out and rub them down before you go out to start the fire. Get your fire going good and run it at 300 to 350 until butts are internal of 165. Then double foil and cook to 197. Pull them off and sit them in a cooler for a while and they will be good to go. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Cooked 2 butts last Sat in about 5 and 1/2 hours. I put them on at 7:45 am and took them off the Egg around noon:30. [p]