Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Full For Burn Time

Options
Bob In Texas
Bob In Texas Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm learning, and doing my first brisket this week-end. How much lump do I need for a 10-12 hour burn time? A 10# bag, more, or less? I would hate to run out in the middle of the night. I'm using the good Yellville, AR. Oak lumps.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Bob In Texas,
    I'd fill the Egg half way up the fire ring. I think that will take more than 10# to do.[p]Remember you can save any lump that has not burned up so you aren't losing anything by filling it higher.

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    Thanks Rich. The brisket is only 5#, so I figured maybe 10 hrs. @ about 250°. Does this sound about right?

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Bob In Texas,[p]Hi..I've done briskets many times. I only ever fill with lump to top of fire box (bottom line of fire ring) . I put in a starter cube and level the temp off at 275 t0 300 dome ..which in my egg seems to be around 250 to 260 grate temp. Cook it until it's done .. time is ALWAYS different but expect 1.5 to 2 hrs per lb. [p]Do you have a pit / meat remote thermometer? The Maverick ET-73 works great for these long cooks. You can get them at the link below. [p]
    [ul][li]Maverick ET73 Remote Pit/Meat Thermometer[/ul]
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Bob In Texas,
    I don't do brisket. Could never figure out why one would like gray meat that requires a sauce. I stick to butts and tri-tip which BTW is $2.39/lb for choice here.[p]As an aside, if you can't make a firebox full of lump last 10 hrs there is a problem. I run 18-20 hrs with a load of lump up to the fire ring.