Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Birthday--New Small Egg!

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
Jim gave me a new Small BGE for my birthday to keep my Large company! I have some questions for you small Egg users...first of all, there's a small packet containing two screws and a bent wire with a large loop at one end and a small loop at the other. What's this for? I really can't figure it out. Also, the top doesn't open the whole way. Is it supposed to be this way? I don't want to force it. [p]Other question: I have a pizza stone that is slightly smaller than the grill. If I set it on a couple of firebricks, could I do pizza in the small, or would that setup tax the airflow? I'm thrilled with my new toy, and anxious to start cooking with it. Plus, it's SO cute!![p]Any advice is appreciated.
Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Gretl,[p] Congratulations! I know that my own Mr. Avocado enjoys spending time out in the yard with Junior. I know your large will enjoy the company, too. I got my small as a closeout so I may not have gotten everything that was supposed to come with it, but I have no idea what the screws and wire are for. Several folks have posted here that their small BGEs have very stiff hinges and supports. Try working them with some WD-40 and check to make sure they aren't bent in too far -- mine worked better once I straightened them out. Eventually, mine has loosened up and now it opens just fine. My only complaint with the small BGEs is that the lid doesn't open very far, even when you get the side supports to engage. Pizza stone should be fine as long as there is adequate air flow around the sides.[p]MikeO
  • Gretl
    Options
    MikeO,
    Thanks for the reply. I've received the same comment on email about the lid not opening completely. I can live with it if I know that's what to expect. I checked the archives, and as recently as Sept. 7 of this year there were some helpful suggestions made to WessB about how to configure the Small for more variety; specifically, JJ's carriage-bolts attached to a second grill. I will love eggsperimenting with the Small. Still can't figure out that wire contraption, though!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    gratedetail.jpg
    <p />Gretl,
    You will love in little egg...Here is a couple of pictures of the exta grate in the small.
    Larry

[ul][li]Extra Grate[/ul]
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Congrats, I have a large and small also.
    Don't have a clue what the wire is for. The dome could definetly use a couple of more inches when it's open. After golf season, I will try to design something that allows for this on my small. If it works I'll post the results.
    Have fun,
    B D

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Gretl. Enjoy your new egg. Julie

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Hey, Gretl - Happy Birthday! Enjoy the new toy![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Gretl,
    Happy Birthday...I know I love my small..and use it very regularly....as others have stated...I have no idea what the wire and screws could be..possibly just got mixed in by mistake?????..as far as doing pizza`s, I leave that task up to my large..Have fun..[p]
    Wess

• Gretl, enjoy! I love my small as well and you'll find it to be so much quicker and easier to fire up for smaller meals and especially for the nuke capabilities. As for the wire and bolts I'll bet somebody somewhere threw that in the box and got a chuckle out of someone trying to figure out what it was for! Kinda like a note in your new license plates saying "Help! I'm being held a prisoner!"

• Gretl
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Right you are. I've been dreaming up all sorts of possibilities; it could be used for blowing bubbles or bent to make a tool with which to dip Easter eggs. Seems pretty superfluous. I think I'll return it to the dealer and ask if I can swap it for a thermometer!
    Cheers,
    G.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Happy Birthday and congratulations on the new addition! You will love it.[p]If the stone is 12" in diameter (or less), it will make great pizza on the little guy (girl?). Getting up around 12.5" in diameter allows the heat (slower rising) for making pizza, but tends to burn the gasket as the space is getting tight. A twelve in stone (I use two stacked) makes multple 10" pies like a charm.[p]Spin
  • Gretl
    Options
    Spin,
    That's good news, as I have a BGE 12-in. stone. I've been making great pizzas on Mr Big; I put the stone on a couple of firebricks. I'll try your setup, being careful with the gaskets. Shrimp on the Small last night was delicious. I'll enjoy getting used to the New Addition. Thanks for your suggestion.
    Cheers,
    Gretl