Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Habeñero Peppers

Options
Mike Oelrich
Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
View?u=141579&a=9609961&p=54744584
<p />Howdy all,[p] Thought I'd share my latest attempt at something a little different on Mr. Avocado. Built a teenst little fire, threw on three big pecan chunks and put the peppers in a smoker basket, wihc I placed on a grid set on my inverted plate setter. Dome temp when they went on was about 90F. Managed to keep the temp below 170F all day (peppers went on at about 0900), temp still holding when I went to sleep around 2000. Fire was out the next morning and the peppers were a little shriveled but still really moist. Put them in the dehydrator I borrowed from NatureBoy (thanks, Chris!) and they ended up in there for a little over a day. Peppers are now dried to a fine degree of crispiness ready for whatever adventures await them over the winter -- just wish I'd had more to play with! Are they hot? Chipotles got nothin' on these little guys, though the smoke mellows them a bit . . .[p]
MikeO

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    MikeO,
    They look like they came out pretty good..I tried to dehydrate some habenero`s last year and they came out looking like raisins, or prunes..I figured it was the oils in the peppers, my Cayenne`s dried fine....so from then on I just pick my Habenero`s fresh..wash em off and throw em directly into the freezer..I have no idea what you plan on putting them on..but rest assured..it will be HOTTTTTTT...when I make chili I`ll chop up one of them and it kicks the heat way up...enjoy....if my plants keep producing I`ll see if I can send you some...email me with you address..[p]Wess

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Wess,
    Instead of mailing them, come on down and meet Mike and I for lunch!
    Kill a few birds with that stone....and a few beers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    WessB,[p] They are pretty crinkled, but when I use them, I just rehydrate with boiling water. I definitely think these smoked ones are an improvement over frozen peppers -- kinda like chipotles are an improvement over frozen jalapeños . . .[p]MikeO
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Do you 2 have some arrangements already set up????
    Might could get away for a few hours...[p]Wess

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    MikeO,
    I vote for a couple of smoked Habeñeros to make it in to some apricot jelly.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p] Glad you liked it! I hope to get a few more little orange fruits off my six little pepper plants to do a few more pints of jam . . .[p]MikeO
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    MikeO,
    I swear...the saying "never trust a skinny cook" does not pertain to you.
    ST[p]PS enjoying my day off from the world of work. Im sitting on my a$$ and doing nothing. I think I may want to do this for the rest of my life.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    MikeO,
    So now we know what the "O" stands for![p]Smokey