Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili recipie

Sippi
Sippi Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a really good chili recipie that works well on the egg or can someone direct me to one? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Sippi,[p]Here's an Oklahoma "award winning" recipe from my Hasty-Bake owner's manual. It's VERY tasty but also 3-4 alarm.
    See last note about reducing the pepper content if you are not a big fan of capcacin.[p]
    6 slices bacon
    2 large yellow onions (Texas Sweet)
    10 cloves garlic chopped
    3 lbs coarce ground beef chuck
    1 7 oz. can green chilis
    2 16 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
    6 dried pablanos seeded and reconstituted in warm water
    3 chipotle peppers mashed
    1 tbs ground dried oregano
    1 tbs ground cumin
    2 16 oz. cans black beans
    2 cups strong beef stock
    1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate morssels
    1 T honey
    1 cup red wine
    2 tsp salt
    1 tbs balsamic vinegar
    1/2 tsp ground pepper

Using a large basting pan or Corning Ware casserole dish:

Chop bacon into 1 inch pieces and saute until nearly crisp. Add onion and garlic and
    saute until onions start to brown. Add beef and saute until beef starts to brown. Add
    remainder of ingredients stirring in each to incorporate well. Now set your container
    in the BGE and allow to simmer for 2-3 hrs at 250* The recipe calls
    for mesquite but use your favorite wood chips. I like apple.

Yield: 1 gallon
    Note: We like everything hot and spicy here at the KennyG Ranch. The unaccustomed palate
    might find this finished product a little too intense. Adjust the amount of peppers
    accordingly.

Enjoy!

K~G

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Sippi,
    This is a site with award winning recipes.Kenny's sounds good also.
    Larry

[ul][li]Chili Recipes[/ul]
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Sippi,
    I've tried both chili recipies on GFW's site. Both are delicious!![p]Good luck!
    B~F[p]Oh, add beer to keep the chili from getting too thick while simmering on the egg.

[ul][li]GFW's BGE Site[/ul]
  • Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Sippi,
    Thanks to all of you. I cooked a lot of chili early after getting my BGE. I look forward to trying all three recommendations. Two of my children are in college with the third adult living in the same college town. They expect something off the egg on a regular basis. I have not been happy with the early results. Thanks again.

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Bama Fire,
    Just curious--if you did not add beans to either of those recipes, would you suggest any alterations in amounts of the other ingredients? Any change in cooking times? If I do not have a dutch oven, any problem using a regular cooking pot?[p]Bob

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    WudEyeDoo,[p]If you choose not the add the beans, I think your main concern will the the consistency of the final product. Fortunately, this is easy to fix -- cook long if too runny and add beer, water or chicken stock if too thick. You want to add more veggies: onion, peppers and tomotoes to make up for the lost beans. (sorry I'm not much help here!)[p]As for using a regular pot on the egg, I'd put it on a pizza stone, fire brick or plate setter -- and probably wrap the bottom in foil, unless you want a smoke stained pot.[p]Good luck! Give us a report![p]B~F