Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fire bricks for pizza

RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the recommended formation to use with firebricks for making pizza? Are we using the "Z" format or the traditional "U" design to place our pizza stone on???
Thanks,

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    RLA,[p]If "we" refers to the Egg forum in general, then all of the setups you cite are correct, along with many more.[p]The requirement of the cooking setup is to provide a convienently upward spaced flat cooking surface (so the cooking surface is at or slightly above the opening lip), sufficient thermal insulation from the fire to create a reliable hearth baking environment for the duration of the cook, and still allow enough airflow through the Egg to support a vibrant fire to provide the heat needed to support the cook.[p]Any setup that affords the above requirements will work. Some setups will work well for only one or maybe two pies, but if that is all that is cooked then it served the purpose.[p]I actually don't use any of your stated setups, nor the plate setter (I did like the plate setter - but I broke a leg off and couldn't get it back on reliably). I cook the pies on a 15" clay stone (that has bumps on the bottom) set on the BGE pizza stone. The BGE stone rests on three equal pieces of a full firebrick cut into thirds.[p]The clay stone provides a very smooth cooking surface (the pie can be removed with a peel) and a bit of spacing above the BGE stone. The BGE stone takes the heat of the fire well, providing insulation for the clay stone. The three firebrick pieces are set under the BGE stone, providing the stable upward spacing with minimal thermal requirement.[p]Spin
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    pizza2.jpg
    <p />RLA,[p]Many ways work - try some and see what you like best. I have done pies with the Z formation but much prefer the |__| setup of firebricks with a stone on top -- or the easiest way is to use a plate setter with a pizza stone on it. Opening the slide/diasy fully open will yield the perfect temp for pizza --> 575-600 deg with a fully open vent. Preheat the stone 5-10 min and add pie. In 10 min +/- you will have a supper pizza.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's BGE page[/ul]
  • RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Tim M,
    Thank you and also to Spin for your return comments.
    I think I shall try the "U" shape...
    Bob

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    fbricks-u.gif
    <p />RLA,[p]Pictured is a U pattern with pizza stone on top. If you have a slide/daisy top you can fill the firebox 3/4 full (pizza uses lots of fuel) and once the heavy smoke stops, add the firebricks and open bottom vent and slide/daisy but fully open. This will max out a temp of 575-625 deg and not much more so you can go in and work on the pie and not worry about hitting 1200 deg on the Egg. [p]Once the smoke stops and the old food, grease etc stops smoking (I hold the 575 temp for 5-10 min) then add my pizza stone to preheat. This is the trial and error part as doughs vary, stones vary, etc. I preheat mine about 10 min and cook the pies for 12-15 min. Never burnt a crust yet and I tried once by cooking for 20-22 min. The crust was rock hard but not burnt.[p]Pizza requires a balance of dome temp, which cooks the toppings, and the stone temp which toasts the crust. If the crust burns = less preheat. Topping under done = more dome temp needed and maybe less preheat then (try this or that).[p]Once I lite the fire - I only look through the slide/daisy - not need to remove it since its wide open and hold the temps at 575-625 -- try it. Link below has a few pics you might find helpful, look under PIZZA on the left menu.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's Cookbook[/ul]