Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza help

Options
SamIam
SamIam Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing multiple pizza. But after the first one the bottom tends to burn. I have tried the cornmeal method to help get the pizza off of the peal and it still burns. Is it possible to use flour the same as the commercial guys do? Fires starting,hope to put the first one on during the second half of todays double header. Thanks for a quick response.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    samiam,[p]What is your setup??
    We gotta know what you are doing times and temps.[p]Bottom burns because to much heat is under it - you need more ceramic or less preheating of it. [p]Tim

• SamIam
    Options
    Tim M,
    Just like the advice on the forum. Plate setter and pizza stone on the large at 400-500 degree for 10-12 minutes

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    samiam,[p]How much sugar are you using in your dough recipe to how many cups of flour? Are you adding dried milk to the dough?[p]Ashley
    ribbon.gif

• SamIam
    Options
    Zip,
    Dough was bought from local Italian deli

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    samiam,[p]Raise your cooking temp up to 550-575°F and cut the cooking time to 5-7 minutes. The higher heat will allow the toppings to finish nicely and the shorter cooking time will allow the dough to not dry out before the toppings are done.[p]Control the temperature using the top vent only, keeping the bottom vent wide open for the entire series of cooks. Pop the top vent off after inserting the raw pie to help quickly regain cooking temp after the dome opening.[p]Spin
  • Zip
    Options
    samiam,[p]I would say that there is possibly a problem with the dough or the thermometer. I like to use a simple oven thermometer that I lay on top of the stacked stones. This way I know what the actual stone temp is. With our pizzas in the restaurant we start at 550º and work up or down depending on how the dough is acting. A stiff dough(less water) with alot of sugars(milk or cane) will have a tendency to burn at higher temps. You may want to lower the dome temp down to 400º and cook one to see if that helps. Also putting a few chips of a quarry tile or a few washers between the plate setter and the stone can also help avoid overheating the top stone.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Ashley
    ribbon.gif

• Spin
    Options
    samiam,[p]As Zip's and my advice seems to be contrary to each other, some explaination should be offered.[p]If your pizza dough is true Italian dough, then it is made of flour, yeast, salt, and water. My advice would be appropriate in this case. If the dough has sugar or dry milk in it then Zip's advice is sound.[p]It's all in the dough. I welcome your comments, Zip.[p]Spin
  • Zip
    Options
    Spin,[p]I think you pretty well summed it up. That was pretty confusing for us to be 180º apart on our answers. Thanks for clarifying that. The dough formula is usually what dictates the temp. A simple test is to taste the raw dough as long as it doesn't have raw eggs in it. If it tastes sweet that would dictate a lower temperature.[p]To address a question in the original post about flour. King Arthur make a bread machine formula that is about 13% - 14% gluten that works well. The Pillsbury "Better for Bread" is also available in many grocery stores and is about 12% gluten, but has other additives that can be helpful someone new to making dough.[p]Ashley
    ribbon.gif

• Spin
    Options
    samiam,[p]The cornmeal on the peel is only for the purpose of keeping the pie from sticking to the peel. Once the pie slides off the peel, the cornmeal no longer serves any beneficial purpose. The cornmeal (or whatever flour used) will slowly burn on the pizza stone. I use as little "peel lubricant" as possible and wipe the stone clean prior to inserting the next pie.[p]The pie will initially stick to the pizza stone, so you need to set it near the center. The crust will quickly form on the under surface, freeing the dough from the stone.[p]Pizza is a learning experience that is quite rewarding. I do hope your pies turned out great.[p]Spin
  • Trout Bum
    Options
    samiam,
    I had the same problem until I doubled up on the ceramic.
    Now I use the plate sitter with the legs down and a pizza stone on top. Have done multiple pizza's in a row without burning.
    B D

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Big Daddy,[p]Super setup and it allows almost fool-proof pies every time.[p]Tim