Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What can you cook in 45 minutes flame on to food off??

egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The guy selling his egg because he said he didn't have time for the egg got me thinking about what I can cook in 45 minutes or less. Along those lines, I'm also wondering what's the fastest way to a clean hot fire. I use mapp gas, or my electric starter but maybe a chimney starter is faster. Sometimes I don't let the mapp gas go long enough and the fire doesn't take off.[p]Anyway, who knows how to get it hot and fast off the egg? [p]Ed

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Egginator,
    anything grilled... steaks, burgers, dogs, tri tip, etc. etc.[p]fish...[p]what do you want to cook?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Egginator,
    I suppose in a way it depends on how you light the Egg. If you use a weed burner as we have seen in the past here on the Forum you could cook a lot of things within 45 min.

• egginator
    Morro Bay Rich,
    I've been thinking about a weed burner, but there's no place to store it near my egg. Why do they call it a weed burner anyway? It looks like a forest fire starter, or a flame thrower. I live in a suburb with a home owers association. Do you realize how fast I'd get a letter if I was killing weeds in the front yard with that thing?

• egginator
    stike,
    I was just trolling for something new. I just bought some beautiful NY strips at Costco today. The butcher trimmed and cut the whole strip into 2 inch steaks for me. Ah, but you can't T-rex steaks in 45 minutes so during the week, I'd have to cook a thin steak or pork chops. [p]Ed

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    blkstk5.jpg
    <p />Egginator,
    You can blacken one in a lot less time.
    blkstk1.jpg
    blkstk2.jpg
    Going to attempt my second Sunday.[p]Mike

• Egginator,
    Ahhhh, but just think about how fast you could burn up the Homeowner's Association letter.

• egginator
    Car Wash Mike,
    I drove up to Tom's and welded up a woo ring, a beef jerky rack and a wok ring, but not a spider. It looks like I should plan another trip. I have a skillet without a handle that would be perfect.[p]Ed

• egginator
    Morro Bay Rich,
    Good point. hmmm...

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Car Wash Mike,
    Serendipity to see that great set of pictures--this week I got the spider and also came upon the very same Lodge cast iron griddle--planning to do exactly what you did! All I need now is the steak!

Judy in San Diego
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Egginator,[p]Hmmmm . . . I think you can do those 2" strips in 45 minutes:[p]Light Egg and allow to come up to lava temp: I've done this in as little as 10 minutes, especially if you use a little fan to help move the air.[p]Sear at 90 seconds per side = 3 minutes.[p]Rest for 15 minutes (since you're short on time).[p]Roast for no longer than 6 minutes per side = 12 minutes.[p]Rest for 5 minutes prior to slicing.[p]Total time = 10 + 3 + 15 + 12 + 5 = 45 minutes.[p]It can be done.[p]TRex
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    TRex,
    Season the steaks and place in ziplock bags
    Place in bowl of hot water in sink with hot water running slowly.
    Light Egg and bring to temp.
    Sear steaks.
    Rest steaks.
    Serve.[p]If you remove the fire ring to move the cooking grate lower in the Egg you can use less coal (better air flow, faster to temp) and lower dome temp, and get the same results as 700* dome.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Egginator,
    Where can I ger the spider and does this change the timming on the the 2 minute per side and then rest[p]Marvin

• Egginator,
    With 4 kids and a wife that dont like me half the time(hehelol)I have to make quick entries for example i got home at 5:15 go straight to the electric starter throw a (few charcoals Cowboy here lately) to go with what was last in the egg and cooking in 15min 2 packs of hot dogs Hebrew Nationals cooked at 315 for 20min or less and got the lid on egg cooling down in 45 mins had to have the oldest to golf at 6:30 made it within 10 mins.I love the egg.

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Egginator,
    I have used a weedburner for a long time. This is the safest way to light the Egg. It has a long wand and hose that will keep you away from the sparks of the lump. Some of the old hats here believe in the mapp torch. Sure it works fine, but it is short and your hands are in the Egg while lighting. Some will tell you that mapp is best. I say the weedburner is best. I garantee you the weedburner puts out a huge flame and has a turbo flame if you want more. It has ignighter making it easy to light. It works off propane tank that will last over a year or more. It is relatively cheep and can be used around the house for other fire purposes. If you like, you may even burn your neighbors house down with it. So, go for the gusto. Purchase the weedburner at most hardware stores. Garenteed to get the fire going quick for that under 45 minute cook. [p]MC Jerry